GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Changing the Coolant Temp Sensor

Well, looks like I need to change out my coolant temp sensor. The gauge reads nothing, and when I ground the wire for the sensor the gauge pegs out. So, all that must be ok. It's the side temp sensor next to the exhaust manifold. Will collant come pouring out when I try to pull the old one to put the new one in? Thanks
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

if i recall ---yes some coolent will leake out. i get the new sensor ready for install and remove the old on and install the new one. i leave the raditor cap on this will slow the air flowijng into the block and slow the leak some but if you are fast the mess will be light....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

I guess I'll get the new sensor, teflon it up good, and then work like a madman to get the old one pulled and the new one in. My goal is to lose as little coolant as is humanly possible. It'll be so nice to be able to see the engine temp again.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

if you are fast enough you might loos a pint to 1/2 gallon at worst i guess. if you got a vaccum pump you can run it off the over flow and might not spill but a drop or two. but you need a catch can so you can pour back in the over flow bottle...mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

Crawdaddy, yes it will definitly pour out, but like you said, just be ready to throw the new on in quick and you should loose too much coolant, then you can top off the coolant at the radiator.

Lightbulb

Yes you will have water coming out, so that kills the idea of using liquid Teflon. You will need to use the tape, use just two wraps as it is essential the the the treads make good contact with the block to ensure correct readings on the gauge.
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Quote Originally Posted by FireRed View Post
    You will need to use the tape, use just two wraps as it is essential the the the treads make good contact with the block to ensure correct readings on the gauge.
    Thanks, I wouldn't have thought about that. I probably would have done 4 or 5 wraps just for good measure and then been screwed. Hopefully if all goes well I can do it tommorow.
    Christopher