GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Programmable tailgate lock

The Silverado LS I just bought didn't come with a tailgate lock, so I'm having the dealership put one on. They tell me it's programmable to match the ignition key, but they can't do there at the dealership. Is it something that is fairly easy to do? Or do I have to take it to a lock smith?

I'm not sure about your truck but my 05 didn't have the option of getting a tailgate lock, however GM does make one, and I picked up two at my local dealer. The first one worked great, worth every penny, last time on vacation someone tried to break into the box of my truck, the locked was screwed up couldn't even get the key in it, but the contents were secure. Anyways I would think that you would have to bring it to a locksmith and see if they can do it, as you put a key in any lock it depresses the pins inside the lock just the right amount then allowing you to turn the cylinder to unlock or lock the lock. If you want it to be keyed like your ignition the proper pins would have to be put into the lock.
    2005 Chev Silverado Z71
    Magnaflow Exhaust w/ 4" Tips Split Side Exit
    Chipped w/ Superchips

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tutut View Post
    The Silverado LS I just bought didn't come with a tailgate lock, so I'm having the dealership put one on. They tell me it's programmable to match the ignition key, but they can't do there at the dealership. Is it something that is fairly easy to do? Or do I have to take it to a lock smith?
    Locksmith, not difficult for them but something you/we can't do as you/we don't have the pins/tumbler keys that they have and they need to remove the face and replace the tumbler keys. Its something
    dealers used to do, not sure why now. You probably don't have the key number from the ignition
    key as it comes when purchased new so they can match that number to the new lock, so the locksmith
    will need to check the key itself and then work from there.

Jeff
    JMoney02

It's not hard to do yourself. My truck didn't come with a locking tailgate, so I bought the locking componites did it myself. very simple actually. it takes maybe 20 mins to do.
    Peter

2007 Silverado LT Crew NNBS 5.3
    Stock 20"
    Black Powdercoated Billet Gas Door
    LineX Bedliner
    Go Rhino Dom II Bars
    Work in Progress
    1952 Chrysler 2dr Windsor } Mine and Dad's
    1966 Ford Mustang

Former Cars
    2000 civic hx Moded
    1993 Probe simi moded
    1985 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab

So*Cal Group

Quote Originally Posted by adidasboy918 View Post
    It's not hard to do yourself. My truck didn't come with a locking tailgate, so I bought the locking componites did it myself. very simple actually. it takes maybe 20 mins to do.
    Did you just guess your way through it or did you already have an idea of how to do it?
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

was my first time doing it. i followed the directions and went quick. the one i installed is a gm locking system that you can get from the dealer. my dad put one on his 02 dodge but his is an aftermarket one.

I actually stumbled upon something today if your looking for something that is a little more slick and have some do it yourself know how you might want to check it out. This tailgate lock locks and unlocks using your signal to lock and unlock your doors.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/chevy_s...7089C8127.aspx

Mind you I haven't tried this myself I have the GM Accessories tailgate lock on my truck and it works great, but if you are trying to avoid having another key, this might be an idea for you.