GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
    Jr. Apprentice

Default I need a little advice on body lifts.

I have a 95 GMC Sierra ( 2 wd). I have 31x12.50xR15 Pro Comps on stock rims. Everything ( as far as suspension) is stock still. I dont really rub untill i hit a decent bump in the road/ trail. I have a ne set of 33x12.50xR15 Pro Comps sitting here and ant them on my truck oh so badly! I dont really want to go through all the hassle of modding the susspension ( ell and im a cheap ass too!) when a body lift should make the room i need ( i think atleast). I have full access to a huge metal shop so i ont have to buy anything except hatever it takes to extend my fuel fill-up line and longer bolts for the body. I guess im going to have to make a extension for the steering thingy( nice explanation huh?). I have no clue if it is telescopic or not ( and if it is, ho far it will telescope).
    Regardless of all of the above, ho much body lift do i need for 33"s to fit and not get all cut up on the fender? Also, is my steering shaft telescopic? Any help would be apprecaited!

have you checked into coil spring spacers?
    the can make room for no rubbing and and easy to instal

I would imagine an 3 inch body would be about right for 33's but thats alot of work getting it on
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

either coil spacers or maybe go to a junk yard and get 4x4 coils they taller than the 2x4 i dont know buy how much but i know they are or maybe a combo of both
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    have you checked into coil spring spacers?
    the can make room for no rubbing and and easy to instal

I would imagine an 3 inch body would be about right for 33's but thats alot of work getting it on
    2 guys, 4 jacks,12 spacers, and 36 Budweisers, whats hard about that? lmao

Jr. Apprentice

I really dont want to mess with the suspension b/c in doing all that you change the angles of many drive componants and put more strain on parts ( and in my case fairly old parts as it is!). Then 2wd's never seem to ride the sam hen you lift from the suspension ( atleast i dont think they do). But seriously, you think 3" would get me where i'd need to be and not ginsue the crap outta my new 33"s? As far as i can tell, the only thing that is going to be "hard and/or complicated" is extending the steering shaft. I guess i'll fing out this weekend ho complicated its going to be huh? I'll try to get a fe b4 and after pics. Maybe next eekend i'll make some brackets to lift the bumpers back up to the body level.

well using coil spacers wont effect the ride at all or anything like that or using 4x4 coils cause your still using the stock coils just givin ya some options.... in my opinion i wouldnt use a body lift i have heard of to many bad stories about body mounts going threw the cab cause if the extra stress

3" body lift is the biggest body lift you can get (as far as i know). I'm more than certain you can fit 33's with it. I (in my 4x4) dont have any lift and i have 33's, so i'll be shocked if the 3" of lift doesn't clear em.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Quote Originally Posted by _lil_E View Post
    I really dont want to mess with the suspension b/c in doing all that you change the angles of many drive componants and put more strain on parts ( and in my case fairly old parts as it is!). Then 2wd's never seem to ride the sam hen you lift from the suspension ( atleast i dont think they do). But seriously, you think 3" would get me where i'd need to be and not ginsue the crap outta my new 33"s? As far as i can tell, the only thing that is going to be "hard and/or complicated" is extending the steering shaft. I guess i'll fing out this weekend ho complicated its going to be huh? I'll try to get a fe b4 and after pics. Maybe next eekend i'll make some brackets to lift the bumpers back up to the body level.
    Well if the truck is stock then you are already 2 inches lower in the font and when you go to put the body lift in that will show and it looks terrible. In my oppion your best bet is coil spring spacers a 2 inch spacer is extremly easy to install and most of the people on here know how to do it so you will have the help you need but anyway if you put the spacers in and the tires fit with just the spacers that is money saved if they dont and you have to buy a body lift well at least you have the truck leveled and it will look nice.
    Alexander
    2000 silverado 1500 2wd
    black racing stripes
    black bowtie
    k&n cold air intake
    bull bar
    6 pilot off road lights on a Go Rhino! Lightning Sport Bar
    summit race muffler
    with fish tailed exhaust pipes
    P.A system (for when the aliens take over)jk
    MB Gunner6 rims (discount tire brand)
    285 bfg at ko's
    mossy oak seat covers
    3inch rough country lift

A spacer spring should do the trick. And no trucw will ride the same way ater anything has been done to the suspension. Its a fact of life. But for what you are doing you won't have much impact on the ride.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

I dont think the truck has coils, it is a torsion bar setup. i know you dont want to hassle with suspension but i would recommend a 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank and rear add-a-leaf). however, I had a 3" BL on my 95 GMC 4x4 and had plenty of room for 33's. It is not that bad to do and comes with all the extensions you will need (steering shaft, fuel filler neck). my kit came with raised front bumper mounts but i had to buy the rear mounts separate (around $50). it was not that hard to do just time consuming. I did it with a couple friends in a day with air tools, but we were slacking.
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by