GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thumbs down 2005 Trailblazer Front Tie Rod Broken 46,000 miles

I am new at this so here goes.
    I am a little confused but my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. I just had to replace the right front tie rod because the dealer said it was broke. I do not go off roading with my trailblazer, the trailblazer only has 46,000 oroginal miles. Has anyone else had this problem and do I have a case to go to Chevy and get them to pay for this repai? Of course my trailblazer is out of warranty and the dealer charged me for this repair.

Blog Entries

I found these 2 reviews online. Looks like other people had premature failure too.

REVIEW #1 - Brakes are another trouble spot. At about 25,000 miles, the pedal was pulsing terribly, and there was a horrible guttural grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of the car. I made a pit stop at the dealer to find out that the tie rod had broken and the right front caliper had seized up, which had rendered the front brakes in such disrepair that the entire front system had to be replaced--pads, rotors, calipers etc

REVIEW #2
    Vehicle
    2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)
    Review
    I purchased my TrailBlazer used, it drives and looks great, lots of wind noise until I put on wind deflectors from wal-mart to keep the rain off the door electronics. I had serious noise in 4wd and was told it was from dry pavement.now the front def. has to be replaced and GM has offered 25% of a $5,000 bill that can be done elsewhere for $2,000 a 12 labour charge because of a very poor design. I have had to replace the rotors and pads, tie-rod ends at 60,000K. The seat skirts have to be repaired. Kept loosing antifreeze, GM replaced the Head gasket to stop the leak. No wonder GM is a sinking ship. Tires need to be replaced now at 70,000K
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Was it driven or towed to the dealer? If you where driving and it broke it's a wearable part it just happened to go bad. If you took it to the dealer for an inspection and they told you it was bad then you are at the mechanics discretion if its bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bry2500 View Post
    I found these 2 reviews online. Looks like other people had premature failure too.

REVIEW #1 - Brakes are another trouble spot. At about 25,000 miles, the pedal was pulsing terribly, and there was a horrible guttural grinding noise coming from the front passenger side of the car. I made a pit stop at the dealer to find out that the tie rod had broken and the right front caliper had seized up, which had rendered the front brakes in such disrepair that the entire front system had to be replaced--pads, rotors, calipers etc

REVIEW #2
    Vehicle
    2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)
    Review
    I purchased my TrailBlazer used, it drives and looks great, lots of wind noise until I put on wind deflectors from wal-mart to keep the rain off the door electronics. I had serious noise in 4wd and was told it was from dry pavement.now the front def. has to be replaced and GM has offered 25% of a $5,000 bill that can be done elsewhere for $2,000 a 12 labour charge because of a very poor design. I have had to replace the rotors and pads, tie-rod ends at 60,000K. The seat skirts have to be repaired. Kept loosing antifreeze, GM replaced the Head gasket to stop the leak. No wonder GM is a sinking ship. Tires need to be replaced now at 70,000K
    Thanks for the information!

Problem is that you can hit a pot hole or slide into a curb and damage a tie-rod, so i'm not sure how you could prove bad design considering there are millions of Trailblazers on the road. There are things that are known like a bad fan clutch, but I'm not familiar with the tie rods being one of them.

One of those reviews was from a used Trailblazer ... you never know how the other driver treated it and what maintenance they did.

I also just noticed that you joined in 2005 but just made your first couple of posts! lol! Welcome!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Default had mine go also

Mine went at 46,000 miles. Took it in for an oil change and they said that the tie-rod is shot. Under warranty still so no biggie money wise. had them check the whole suspension after that.

Don