GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Question Theft Deterrent System

Is the "Theft Deterrent System" supposed to be an alarm? I'm a little confused about what it really means. When I bought my truck, the sticker said it has a Theft Deterrent System. The description of my exact truck on the internet also had these statements listed, concerning theft deterrent:

-Steering wheel, includes theft-deterrent locking feature
    -Remote Keyless Entry, with 2 transmitters, panic button and content theft alarm
    -Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD player, seek-and-scan, digitalclock,
    auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), speed-compensated volume and
    TheftLock

I tried to test out the alarm, as it says in the manual... open the window, use the Remote Keyless Entry to lock the doors and activate the alarm, and then reach in and unlock the doors manually and open the door. But nothing happens. I assumed "Theft Deterrent System" was an alarm, am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Tutut View Post
    Is the "Theft Deterrent System" supposed to be an alarm? I'm a little confused about what it really means. When I bought my truck, the sticker said it has a Theft Deterrent System. The description of my exact truck on the internet also had these statements listed, concerning theft deterrent:

-Steering wheel, includes theft-deterrent locking feature
    -Remote Keyless Entry, with 2 transmitters, panic button and content theft alarm
    -Audio system, AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD player, seek-and-scan, digitalclock,
    auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), speed-compensated volume and
    TheftLock

I tried to test out the alarm, as it says in the manual... open the window, use the Remote Keyless Entry to lock the doors and activate the alarm, and then reach in and unlock the doors manually and open the door. But nothing happens. I assumed "Theft Deterrent System" was an alarm, am I missing something?
    you must open the doors
    the head lights will flash and the horn will "panic" or contuniously honk for however many mins. and the windows dont have to be down, i have locked the doors w the windows up and left the little brother inside. you can click the "lock" or "unlock" buttons on the key fob to "disarm" it
    its not much of an alarm system but maybe the blinking red light on the dash will "deter" the crimininally minded
    but they way i look @ it is if somone wants something of yours bad enough they will take it
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Jr. Apprentice

I don't have a blinking red light. ::shrugs:: Maybe I only have the theft deterrent on the ignition?