GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 2002 Sonoma

Default 2002 Sonoma

This is my first truck, and the ride seems to be much bumpier than the Car I used to have and I thought that was a bit on the rough side. The roads the city tries to maintain arn't exactly the smoothest, but my truck seems to find every bump and dip and just multiplies it by a 100 fold! Bumps that were small in my car nearly throw me into the roof in the truck. Too much air in the tires? Shocks too stiff? Who knows.

The Sonomas and S10s do ride a little rough, but it sounds like yours may be rougher than usual. If it is the "regular" cab, the wheel base is shorter and can contribute to the problem. Over pressured tires and worn tires can also affect it. As you mentioned the shocks could be culprits. The last one I had was an ext'd cab and I put HD shocks on it. It still rode pretty good, but no where near smooth. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

yea i would say replace the shocks, they could be shot
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

goin from a car to a truck u may just not be used to it...

2006 2500HD Silverado 6.0L

Default Shocks

I spent $70 to have a 150 point inspection. The shocks were examained and the rear ones were found to be bad. The dealer then replaced them (I hope!). The tires on the truck are Uniroyal Tiger paws and I've read they were original tires and could contribute to the rough ride. I've also heard these tires are rated at 70,000 but at 31,000 they look pretty worn. My research tells me these tires have problems gripping the road and there were times when I stepped on the brake, the truck would slide like it was on ice. It happens - thats all I can say, it is difficult to duplicate.

Angry Still working on the ride

All 4 wheels have been rebalanced and that seemed to have helped for a while. I've recently bought 4 new tires and the slipping and sliding is nearly gone. The truck seems to ride better with the new tires.

I'm very particular in keeping the truck looking nice, its convincing the idiots that bang my truck with their car door to watch it. My truck was backed into a week ago and yes it was a hit and run. Its bad enough trying to save money, but when I have to pay for other peoples stupidity....ARGH!