GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Replacing Front Hubs, brakes

I am Working on a 1999 Chev 2500 Suburban.
    Well as it happens I have a bad bearing on the passenger side. A slight movement in it when I jacked it up. Also that damn humming sound at certain speeds with the window is down is unnerving. Well I think I should replace both of them as long as I am at it. And since I have all it apart I would like to upgrade the front brakes to high performance drilled, slotted rotors and pads. To top this all off I would thinking of doing this all myself as I have time right now and would love to save the money.
    I have nearly all the equipment needed like HD jack, jack stands, impact wrench and sockets. Oh yes I just got a nifty little creeper. I would need to buy a breaker bar and torque wrench. I have done a break job once on my 1 ton Chevy van I own some time ago so I am not totally unfamiliar with this job. One of the sites I found has a step by step detailed instructions on how to.
    GMC/Chevy 2500 & 3500 Pickups (Includes HD Models) Front Wheel Hub Bearing Replacement Instructions AutoPartsDirectToYou.Info
    I think this site should be a great help.

I have been looking around on the web and I think that I have found the rotors and brake shoes. Which are Power Slot Cryo Rotors. The pads are Hawk HP Superduty brake pads. Both seem to be very well liked in numerous reviews.

The most hubs I have found seem to be made in China or Taiwan. I have heard that some of the replacement parts made there are not all they should be with failures. So I am still looking for them.

The main reason I am replacing the brakes now is I tow a 31' Airstream with the burb and besides the OEM brakes are far from great without towing anything. I have owned the rig for just over a year now and since the gas prices are way down I would like to drive it more.

What I am looking for from all of you that might be able to help is the pit falls of doing this myself. Plus are these hubs from the Orient OK? And any advise as to where I could get replacement hubs ( a web site)?
    Thanks, AT

Jr. Apprentice

I had just replaced the front hub bearings on my trailblazer and it went fairly well. Getting that breaker bar is a great idea to get those frozen rusted bolts and the hub nut off . Now for the bad part, I had no ABA light on before the switch , now it's on (I have posted a thread for this problem). I've been suggested to get it scanned to see what the computer has to say, which I have not done yet , I think it may be that I shopped around for the cheapest bearings and there is a problem with them .I will see after the scan, but anyways I hear Timken bearings are a good product don't know where they are made . I probably should have gotten them.