GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Question which 08 5.3 intake/exhaust/tuner?

So I'm getting a new 08 5.3 silverado tomorrow... on the list of things to do are exhaust, intake, and a tune/tuner. I'm pretty sure I'm going Gibson for the exhaust (part #65626), had one on my dakota and my brother has one on his 01 silverado, like the sound of both.

What intake though? K&N FIPK? any others out there I should know about?

And tuner? Most of the canned tuners don't have support for 08 yet it looks like (superchips, SCT), what's a good one for Chevy's? I'm coming from a dodge, and had a superchips on my old truck, liked it well enough, but figured Id ask to see what my options are.

Thanks!

On my 08 5.3 I have the K&N Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Bully Dog Programmer. Very happy with the combination.
    08 Z71 Victory Red Crew Cab
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enough View Post
    On my 08 5.3 I have the K&N Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, and Bully Dog Programmer. Very happy with the combination.
    Thanks for the reply! Which K&N, the 77 series chrome metal one or the plastic FIPK? pics?

I have the Superchips on my rig. It is programmed for the performance setting, 91 octane. I don't notice much of a difference, if any. The only thing it was good for was adjusting my Speedo for the bigger tires, removing rev limiter and compensating for the 4.56 gears. From what I gather, the Nelson tune is the best way to go, period. Its a custom tune, they flash your PCM and send it to you, and people say it works well. I cant say my programmer worked well.
    2005 Sierra 1500 Z71 Crew Cab
    Pro Comp 6" Lift
    4.56 Gears
    35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Eagle Alloys
    K&N Intake
    Flowmaster Exhaust
    SuperChips Programmer (worthless)

I prefer the 57 series over the 77 series. Polished looks nice at first, but after a couple years it starts looking pretty rough. Also, typically the black plastic tend to get about 2-3 hp more than the polished aluminum due to heat dissipation.

I've never had good luck with a Superchip on a gas Chevy...never been impressed.
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SlickMachine View Post
    I have the Superchips on my rig. It is programmed for the performance setting, 91 octane. I don't notice much of a difference, if any. The only thing it was good for was adjusting my Speedo for the bigger tires, removing rev limiter and compensating for the 4.56 gears. From what I gather, the Nelson tune is the best way to go, period. Its a custom tune, they flash your PCM and send it to you, and people say it works well. I cant say my programmer worked well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Never Enough View Post
    I prefer the 57 series over the 77 series. Polished looks nice at first, but after a couple years it starts looking pretty rough. Also, typically the black plastic tend to get about 2-3 hp more than the polished aluminum due to heat dissipation.

I've never had good luck with a Superchip on a gas Chevy...never been impressed.
    Good to know about the superchips on a gas chevy, cause it worked wonders on the dakota. Since my truck is my dd, I'm kind of hesitant to do a custom PCM flash, unless they flash one and send it to me, then I ship mine back to them. That and I didn't think the custom tunes have cracked the '08 PCMs yet... ?

Anyone know which canned tuner works well for the chevy's? or is a custom flash the only way to go?

I think I'm gonna go with the 57, it's less $ and more HP, and while the polished looks nice, I'm not too concerned about the looks of the 57 ruining the engine bay...

Thanks for the input!!!!

I like the Bully Dog, Edge and DiabloSport on the new Chevys. You'll be happy with any of them. The edge is nice because of the display, but if you're not interested in the display, I'd scratch that one and go with either the DS or BD.

i have an 08 silverado, just ordered K&N 63 series intake, Airaid TB Spacer, and i am gunna go with the gibson super truck exhaust, unless someone can convince me otherwise. $390 for an all stainless exhaust is pretty reasonable.

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by kuz6954 View Post
    i have an 08 silverado, just ordered K&N 63 series intake, Airaid TB Spacer, and i am gunna go with the gibson super truck exhaust, unless someone can convince me otherwise. $390 for an all stainless exhaust is pretty reasonable.
    $390?? What cab do you have? My stainless one's about $580, and that's not the one that exits both sides...
    2008 LTZ Victory Red Crew Cab
    --Current Mods--
    Appearance: SS Chrome Grill Inserts; 2" leveling kit
    --Planned Mods--
    Appearance: Contemplating tonneau cover
    Performance: Gibson exhaust; K&N intake; tune of some sort
    Audio/Video: Still working out the setup: 2 10's, Kenwood DVD player, plan to install December '09
    2001 SLT Dodge Dakota Quad Cab - traded in

i know someone that used superchips, and im glad i didnt buy one b/c it decreased his gas milage on the economy setting. if and when i buy one, i am going with the bullydog trippl dog gas tuner due to the fact that it is interchangeable b/w chevy, ford, and dodge and it also comes with lifetime free upgrades.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast