GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: Repair or Buy New?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Repair - The credit crunch makes it unfavorable to buy new

34 35.05%
  • 50/50 - It just depends on how much work needs to be done.

53 54.64%
  • New - I'd rather have a new reliable vehicle than worry about my old vehicle

10 10.31%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

50/50, car payment/no car payment, warranty/no warranty. Repair bills/no repair bills. You will always have maintenance so theres no choice there. Used is still new, right? You never owned it before, so its new to you now.....

Jeff
    JMoney02

Sr. Apprentice

I voted 50/50 i really think they both have their advantages such as new vehicle will be reliable for a while but you could always build the older car and im one for rebuilding vehicles!

Thumbs up

I spent most of the weekend trying to fix the heated seat on mu wife's 99 Riviera. She loves that car. Problem is when it comes time to replace the Riv she is going to want a luxury car like the Riv. But they dont make anything like it anymore...

Bert
    "Race Car Spelled Backwards is Racecar"

03 Silverado 2WD extended cab 5.3 with towing package white/silver
    70GS455

Sr. Apprentice

I went 50/50. I have an 86 with some rust but I just can't see parting with the old girl. At some point money for repairs will become an issue with me, right now they are with the wife but she just doesn't understand. Lets see ..... need new doors (current ones have patch work), need right front fender (banged up), and I could use the right bedside (have a hole patched there too). Now since we're on the cost of parts .... just bought new 31" tires and stock rims (have 33" but cut back on money), headers, new dual exhaust, and carb. Going to get above mentioned parts plus new 33" tires so I can put alum. rims back on and a motor. Difference between old faithfull and a new one ..... no payment and it gets put the way I want it to look. Not to mention the price for aftermarket parts for a newer truck are alot more than what they cost for the older one. I can't lie tho I have been looking at newer ones.
    Michael Sharar

I am going with repair at the moment. I have bought three new vehicles in the last 10 years, the 2005 Silverado being the latest. I have become attached to this truck and am goin to drive it till the wheels fall off. Then, im goin to fix it and keep on keepin on....

with all the deals on new GM cars and trucks and if your in a positive way with a trade in or no trade in go new i just priced a 2008 long bed wt 1500 with the 4.3 9500.00 +tax and title that is with all rebates and dealer discounts applied the problem is i owed more than my 2006 was worth so i keep my 2006 for a couple more years

2006 GMC 1500 Long Bed Vortec 4.3
    1982 S-10 Prodject Street/Track with a 327/300hp Motor built up to 415 hp

Voted 50/50, but it really just depends on how good of a deal I could work out. Cost of repairs matter too. I guess for me it is all a matter of what makes the best sense at the time...

i went with repair my old truck. regardless of the economy and all that. id rather have an old truck that i can fix then all that computerized bs that you can hardly do an oil change yourself on.

id say it depends on the work that needs to be done. so 50/50
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

I voted repair but not because of the credit crunch, I just hate to leave a vehicle that I have grown so attached to. I drive them and repair them untill they just aren't worth the cost of repairs, and somtimes even then I have been known to just start over and completely rebuild. I put over $7k in a '85 KL 600 over a period of 3 years and replaced it with a new '06 KLR 650 for $4500, even then I put alot of the stuff from the '85 on the '06. Am I sick? I don't feel sick.
    Cummins, 4uck the rest! Leave the chevy's to the ni66ers.