GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Trailblazer/Bravada/Envoy shift knob

For the folks that have a Trailblazer/Bravada/Envoy, I'm trying to find out how the shifter head connects to the shifter itself. On the Grand Am's, you have to pull the leather cover down a bit and pull out a clip that kinda looks like a staple from the front of the shifter knob and then pop the head off. Since the shifter head for the SUV's look really good, I'm looking at possibly doing a mod w/ one. Can you hook me up w/ info and possible pics. Thanks in advance. Here's a pic for those who don't know what they look like.

BUMP!!

Anyone able to help on this?

Wish I could help you out, but I have not been inside but one Trailblazer and that was for a test drive. Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

What year are you looking to pull from? Surpisingly, there is a lot of various shifters that can go from one GM to another quite easily. Is this an aftermarket one?

The Gear Shifter
    Getting the gear shifter in/out is actually pretty fast, like 5 minutes. You need an allen wrench (technically it's a Torx T-15).

There are only three parts of the gear shifter. 1) The boot, 2) the knob and 3) the shaft.

1) The boot is connected by 4 pins. They can be pulled up pretty quickly, but you'll need to make certain there is something for them to snap into.

2) The knob is connected by the said allen/torx bolt and that is on the side of the knob.

3) At this point, it's just a shaft!

You might be able to just slide the Trailblazer boot over the existing shaft (if the screw diameter is the same, and chances are it is). Then screw the knob on over it and find a way to secure the boot down. Then you're in business.

Don't forget about the starter interlock, I'm guessing that will work the same, but I'm not sure.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    What year are you looking to pull from? Surpisingly, there is a lot of various shifters that can go from one GM to another quite easily. Is this an aftermarket one?

The Gear Shifter
    Getting the gear shifter in/out is actually pretty fast, like 5 minutes. You need an allen wrench (technically it's a Torx T-15).

There are only three parts of the gear shifter. 1) The boot, 2) the knob and 3) the shaft.

1) The boot is connected by 4 pins. They can be pulled up pretty quickly, but you'll need to make certain there is something for them to snap into.

2) The knob is connected by the said allen/torx bolt and that is on the side of the knob.

3) At this point, it's just a shaft!

You might be able to just slide the Trailblazer boot over the existing shaft (if the screw diameter is the same, and chances are it is). Then screw the knob on over it and find a way to secure the boot down. Then you're in business.

Don't forget about the starter interlock, I'm guessing that will work the same, but I'm not sure.
    Sorry. '02-'05.

So the torx holds the shifter knob itself on the shaft. I take it then that the shaft is kind of square instead of round like on my Grand Am. If so, that sucks.. I was looking forward to this working.

Thanks.