GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Moderator

    dwill3015's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yacolt, Washington
    Posts
    4,338
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    All valid reasons for both. Custom tunes are cheaper and can be tweaked to your liking. Programmers have set tunes to flash your ECM for a variety of uses from economy, towing, and performance. I have a programmer on my diesel and run it on a mild 70HP tune that helps me to achieve the best mileage (17-20mpg) and if i want to impress my friends I can plug it in and push a few buttons to load a hotter tune. Having the ability to remove the speed limiter, calibrate my speedo, put my tranny in re-learn mode, read and reset DTC's, and run live diagostics has been awesome. I have never had it custom tuned so i can only give my opinion based on owning a programmer. Eventually I will be going with EFIlive so that I can install a variety of tunes as well as do my own custom tuning with my laptop.
    It's really up to you and what you have the need for. Anything is an improvement over stock for sure.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zach45 View Post
    im going to get s custom blackbear tune..
    I've heard alot of good thing about him. He post on another board that I'm on, and he definitely knows his stuff.

  3. #13

    Default

    What about HP Tuner thru a reseller with the tune?
    Best Regards,
    W Page

  4. #14
    Sr. Engineer
    TomsHHR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Superior Wis
    Posts
    402
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    My HHR and My Silverado both have a Trifecta Tune.

    I will be a test truck for some Trifecta goodies through this spring. Right now the 4cyl mode is more aggressive on my 8-4cyl. Went to Omaha over new years and averaged 21mpg when it was -4 degrees and down to -15 during the trip. All this was with the cruise set at 70 mph.
    2009 Chevy Sliverado Std cab 5.3, 4 speed Auto 2wd, Trifecta Tuned
    1926 Model T Bucket powered by Chevy LS 5.3 TH350 and S-10 rear axle Build period Sept 7, 2010 to April 2011
    1979 Starcraft Islander 221 Great Lakes Fishing Boat
    SOLD: 2006 Chevy HHR The Deer Slayer.

  5. #15

    Default

    Id say go with the custom tune...Ive got a programmer now and its okay but it didnt give me the power gains I wanted...yeah its nice having the flexabilty of changing it on the go and bumping up shift points and taking off the limeter is cool in all but at the end of the day day it doesnt beat mashing the pedal and beating out another truck with a programmer
    05 silverado 1500 4.8L v8
    Flowmaster exhaust
    Dougs headers electric cut out
    AEM brute force intake
    Superchips flashpaq tuner
    Airaid throttle body spacer
    kmc enduro beadlocks
    33 inch hankook dynapros
    4 inch cst lift spindles, rancho 5000 shocks
    de-badged

    "if your not livin on the edge, your takin up too much room"

  6. #16

    Default

    Some of the new tuners out there like Edge, Bully Dog and Diablosport also have the ability to display gauges. This is a significant cost savings over going with a pod and gauges. Cleaner look, more reliable, programming, flexibility, re-sellable and a warranty... Those were my deciding factors for running the Edge Evolution in my current Silverado. Next I'll be trying out the BullyDog GT Gas. Both are really nice displays as well.
    Its all in what you need out of your purchase...
    08 Z71 Victory Red Crew Cab
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Never Enough View Post
    Some of the new tuners out there like Edge, Bully Dog and Diablosport also have the ability to display gauges. This is a significant cost savings over going with a pod and gauges. Cleaner look, more reliable, programming, flexibility, re-sellable and a warranty... Those were my deciding factors for running the Edge Evolution in my current Silverado. Next I'll be trying out the BullyDog GT Gas. Both are really nice displays as well.
    Its all in what you need out of your purchase...
    the kicker with those tuners is that theyre only for the new body style gms no love for the older styles :(

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by npverhey1 View Post
    the kicker with those tuners is that theyre only for the new body style gms no love for the older styles :(
    huh?? not the DiabloSport Predator...

    you can get a Predator for 1999-2010 trucks... there are different model predators for different model year trucks...

    you can find the right one by selecting the info here:

    http://diablosport.com/index.php?mod...=display&pid=3



    and they allow you to adjust things like:


    Timing Table 1000-3800rpm (+15/- 20%)

    Timing Table 4000-4800rpm (+15/- 20%)

    Timing Table 5000-7000rpm (+15/- 20%)

    Fuel Table 1000-3800rpm (+/- 20%)

    Fuel Table 4000-4800rpm (+/- 20%)

    Fuel Table 5000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)

    Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)

    Speed Limiters

    Rev Limiters

    RPM Shift Points

    MPH Up and Downshifts

    Shift Timing

    Shift Pressure

    Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures

    Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes

    Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF

    Adjust for different injector size

    Adjust COT enable temperature


    Plus, you can get custom tunes written specifically for your vehicle by a DiabloSport CMR tuner - then import it to your Predator and install to the truck... and still maintain the adjustability of the parameters listed above if you change your setup and want to tweak any of those things yourself...


    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 02-02-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    06MonteSS


    2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake

  9. #19

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
    huh?? not the DiabloSport Predator...

    you can get a Predator for 1999-2010 trucks... there are different model predators for different model year trucks...

    you can find the right one by selecting the info here:

    http://diablosport.com/index.php?mod...=display&pid=3



    and they allow you to adjust things like:


    Timing Table 1000-3800rpm (+15/- 20%)

    Timing Table 4000-4800rpm (+15/- 20%)

    Timing Table 5000-7000rpm (+15/- 20%)

    Fuel Table 1000-3800rpm (+/- 20%)

    Fuel Table 4000-4800rpm (+/- 20%)

    Fuel Table 5000-7000rpm (+/- 20%)

    Idle (+ 500rpm / -300rpm)

    Speed Limiters

    Rev Limiters

    RPM Shift Points

    MPH Up and Downshifts

    Shift Timing

    Shift Pressure

    Cooling Fan ON and OFF temperatures

    Re-Calibrate Speedometer for Gear and Tire Size Changes

    Upshift torque reduction (all gears) ON/OFF

    Adjust for different injector size

    Adjust COT enable temperature


    Plus, you can get custom tunes written specifically for your vehicle by a DiabloSport CMR tuner - then import it to your Predator and install to the truck... and still maintain the adjustability of the parameters listed above if you change your setup and want to tweak any of those things yourself...

    no **** lol thanks for that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. custom tune
    By lsutoms in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 4
    Last: 06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
  2. Custom Tune
    By KyleZ71 in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 3
    Last: 06-10-2010, 08:36 PM
  3. Custom Tune?
    By blakk0nine in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 1
    Last: 11-27-2009, 05:23 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last: 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM
  5. custom tune??
    By 5speedsilverado in forum Performance & Fuel
    Replies: 5
    Last: 04-13-2009, 09:47 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •