GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Custom Tune or Programmer?

I just found out that one of the engineers at my work has been tuning GM's for long time now. He is probably one of the smartest persons I know.So i trust him explicitly. He tuned another guys truck at work. Silverado 2500 ext cab. Not sure of the year.

He says he can get me 30 more ponies and 30 more ft/lbs of torque.

My question is which way would you go Custom tune or use a programmer ( hypertech/ diablosport/ etc)
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

hypertech.

1995 Chevy Silverado
    Fully loaded!!!
    4Wheel Drive
    5.7 Liter
    Blue
    Best Engine In The World!!!!!
    Once i had a nearly dead battery and was only able to get 1 slow crank per attempt, Once to the fifth crank she fired up! (True Story)

In my opinion, from the research I have done, you will get the best results from a custom tune. This is because it is tuned specifically for your vehicle and takes all of your upgrades or modifications into account. The only down side is, you have to get a re-tune if you change anything. That's when it comes down to preference.

I went with a programmer so I could change anything at will. I have been super pleased with my Hypertech so far and would highly recommend it if you decide to go that route.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    In my opinion, from the research I have done, you will get the best results from a custom tune. This is because it is tuned specifically for your vehicle and takes all of your upgrades or modifications into account. The only down side is, you have to get a re-tune if you change anything. That's when it comes down to preference.

I went with a programmer so I could change anything at will. I have been super pleased with my Hypertech so far and would highly recommend it if you decide to go that route.
    i agree 100%
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Both routes are great. True you will probably get more gains from a custom tune, however...
    1) If you use your truck for multiple things, you have no control over changing it - towing vs daily driving
    2) If you sell your truck, you give away your tune whereas a programmer can be removed and put in a new truck, or sold to someone else and recoup some of your money.
    3) Most of the programmers out there also offer the ability to check and clear CELs
    4) If you swap wheels depending on the season, with a programmer you can modify tire size for the speedometer

I personally prefer the flexibility of a programmer, so thats what I went with. Thats what works for me. I figured 90% of the power (guessing) gains, and 120% the flexibility was good enough for me rather than a custom tune. However, I'm not going to dig into the motor with bigger injectors, cams and so on. If you are....a custom tune should be your choice as the programmers don't take these sorts of modifications into consideration.
    08 Z71 Victory Red Crew Cab
    Ground Force 2" drop in rear, 22" wheels, Toyo ST Rubber, K&N Intake, Magnaflow Duals, Bully Dog Prog., Weathertech Floormats, Grillcraft Grill, Undercover Sing Case, Viair Compressor, Wolo Horns, Hellwig F&R Sway Bars, Plasmaglow LED's, PEAK backup camera, Husky Mudflaps....lots more in the works.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Never Enough View Post
    Both routes are great. True you will probably get more gains from a custom tune, however...
    1) If you use your truck for multiple things, you have no control over changing it - towing vs daily driving
    2) If you sell your truck, you give away your tune whereas a programmer can be removed and put in a new truck, or sold to someone else and recoup some of your money.
    3) Most of the programmers out there also offer the ability to check and clear CELs
    4) If you swap wheels depending on the season, with a programmer you can modify tire size for the speedometer

I personally prefer the flexibility of a programmer, so thats what I went with. Thats what works for me. I figured 90% of the power (guessing) gains, and 120% the flexibility was good enough for me rather than a custom tune. However, I'm not going to dig into the motor with bigger injectors, cams and so on. If you are....a custom tune should be your choice as the programmers don't take these sorts of modifications into consideration.

Exactly, bolt-on horse power perfers the programmer, custom really needs to be used when adding internals to the motor, because dialing in all the hardware is Custom Tune to those certain mods and agreed there is NO programmer as of yet that will complete that function.
    Take the advise and go with the programmer, I also like Hypertech, works very well and reliable....

Jeff
    JMoney02