GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Spark Plug Torque and Gap- '94 Suburban

Ok i am new to these forums and i did use the search button on this one but couldnt bring anything up...Im not new to working on cars however. I just got a 1994 1500 5.7L suburban 2wd for my job and need to do some work on it. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to DL the shop manual for free. Also i am going to be changing the plugs on it and was wondering the gap and torque numbers for the plugs!! Thanks in advance!

Legend

just use your torque wrench and see how much torque it takes to break them loose just dont crank them, use steady and constant pressure,I dont remeber gap but you local parts store dude should know that after all alot of plugs come "pregapped" i always put my plugs in with antiseize compound and go a turn or so past finger tight and have never had problems
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Legend

Blog Entries

Found by one of our members. Hope this helps.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    just use your torque wrench and see how much torque it takes to break them loose
    I would be careful doing this with a click type torque wrench as I've been told doing this can throw off the calibration. Dial types should be ok though.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Welcome to the site. Have fun!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

In many instances, the torque to remove a part is much more than the torque that was used in tightening it. Also, you don't know if the person putting it on torqued it to the proper level to begin with. I suppose that if it is an original factory plug, that might not be the case. However, many things get frozen on for one reason or another so it takes a lot more torque to get them freed up. For one thing, the torque required to get them off will be a function of the engine temperature. It is good to have a warm engine but not so hot that you give yourself 3rd degree burns getting to those plugs near the firewall.

When you do replace the plugs, it is a good idea to use anti-seize on the threads to ensure that they aren't frozen on the next time you service them.

I've never used a torque wrench on my plugs, BTW.

One other thing to note on the gap - for my '02 they changed the recommended gap from .060 to .040 so my owner's manual is no longer correct. When I put in new AC Delco plugs all of them had the correct (.040) gap from the factory.
    Last edited by IrishBrewer; 11-24-2008 at 08:15 AM.

I use these two methods:
    1. When the plug uses a crush washer, I tighten to seat the plug, then tighten about 1/4 turn to crush the washer.
    2. If the plug has a tapered seat I use the specs from the plug mfg. like these from NGK.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plug_torque.JPG  
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
    In many instances, the torque to remove a part is much more than the torque that was used in tightening it. Also, you don't know if the person putting it on torqued it to the proper level to begin with. I suppose that if it is an original factory plug, that might not be the case. However, many things get frozen on for one reason or another so it takes a lot more torque to get them freed up. For one thing, the torque required to get them off will be a function of the engine temperature. It is good to have a warm engine but not so hot that you give yourself 3rd degree burns getting to those plugs near the firewall.

When you do replace the plugs, it is a good idea to use anti-seize on the threads to ensure that they aren't frozen on the next time you service them.

I've never used a torque wrench on my plugs, BTW.

One other thing to note on the gap - for my '02 they changed the recommended gap from .060 to .040 so my owner's manual is no longer correct. When I put in new AC Delco plugs all of them had the correct (.040) gap from the factory.
    Very good advice

2007 Silverado LS 4x4 1500 | 4.8L Vortec | Crew Cab
    SGT Davis - US Army POW-MIA You are not forgotten...