GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Review of my 09 Colorado 4WD Z71

Well my first impression of my 09 Colorado, it's a hell of a lot better than the 07 Nitro I traded in. The truck handles well, suspension is nice and tight, performance is relatively good for a 3.7 I5. Now for the down side, Radio does not sound that good but it will due for now. Looking out the rear view window is less than desirable with the rear seat head rest in the way. So I've had this truck for about 2 weeks and put 300 miles on it so it's time to start seeing what makes this thing tick. I opened the hood to see what I can modify and and where GM cheeped out building these trucks. Didn't look to bad, but I did find that the clamps that hold the air intake tube on were loose. No big deal just tighten them up. I think the truck will defiantly benefit from a cold air intake system. Then I moved onto the under carriage. I figured while I'm under here I'd might as well give the torsion bars a crank up and to my surprise I was only able to make one full turn on the bolt WTF. I'm gonna have to investigate why there is only one turn left on those bolts. Under carriage all in all looks pretty good could use a couple of skip plates. But I am veryy happy with it.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update. I still would like to be able to go that direction on my next one. I still don't see why the 5.3L isn't rated any higher on mpg. It probably would be with different gears. How is your mileage, so far?

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Sounds alright. If you tow anything make sure there is power to the rear plug. If not shoot me a message and I'll walk you through the connection procedure.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by retired2001 View Post
    Thanks for the update. I still would like to be able to go that direction on my next one. I still don't see why the 5.3L isn't rated any higher on mpg. It probably would be with different gears. How is your mileage, so far?

It's getting about 15mpg all city driving.

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    Sounds alright. If you tow anything make sure there is power to the rear plug. If not shoot me a message and I'll walk you through the connection procedure.

Of course there was no trailer wiring harness tucked up under the bed when I put the hitch on, but no big deal Pep Boys had a harness for 23 bucks.

Sr. Apprentice

nice review. i just sold my 07 canyon for a silverado. im really suprised as well that you were only able to get 1 turn out of the tb's, i think people can usually get around 3. you said you were wanting a cai. im not sure if you have a specific one in mind, aem system can me made to work with the 3.7 through the use of a maf adapter plate that my friend has built. people have seemed to be really happy with that system.