GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Suburban Carputer Plans

New user, second post.

I have a 2002 Suburban with the 1.5 DIN stereo and remote tape deck in the center console.
    I hooked up a wireless reverse camera and currently use a portable nav unit. It is a bit of a mess with wires everywhere.
    I was thinking about a carputer which may require fabrication.

The thing is that this project must not cost much because the wife doesn't want me to spend any $$$ on a work truck.

I have a spare EEE PC 701 netbook. I have nLite XP, Road Runner, Holux bluetooth, and iGuidance setup. It boots up in 17 seconds and I have a 12 volt DC adaptor. It is already configured for a carputer. I have a spare usb sdif audio card, a usb tv tuner (for reverse camera). I would only need to 6.5/7" LCD screen.

Option 1:
    I could rip out the tape deck and install a single din stereo there and put a screen in the 1.5 din slot now. I would then have a carputer ready to go.

Option 2: Which would cost me a total of $5- 8. Keep everything and use my current portable nav.

I would buy some ABS plastic, remove the ONSTAR buttons and flush mount a 3.5" portable nav unit in it's place.

I would put the portable nav in the onstar place and add ABS plastic ($5 on ebay). It would look like this.

I would love to do #1 because the eee pc is pretty much doing nothing.

Any progress with this project? I've been working on my own project, but it's a lot more complicated than yours. I'm running a 10" touchscreen and desktop parts with a car ATX powersupply.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I'd love to do something like this. I was working on something with another car of mine for tuning and monitoring, I'll have to see if I can dig up the information for it on the web.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    Any progress with this project? I've been working on my own project, but it's a lot more complicated than yours. I'm running a 10" touchscreen and desktop parts with a car ATX powersupply.
    I havent done anything on my burb yet. I had to replace the bumper and some other stuff.

I did it for my other car, a Range Rover Sport.

Youtube video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ggK0f0xQ_g[/media]

Now it is time for the Suburban. I might just yank it out of my Rover (I already have video, gps, mp3 on it) and put it into the Burban. I have to find a screen and I'm not good at fabrication. I am asking the wife for a Dremel kit (for christmas) so I can think about cutting up the dash.