GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by nikkeshelton View Post
    SO i TAKE IT THAT PUTTING ONE ON MY 2009 SERRIA WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME, WAS HOPING FOR A QUICK FIX TO MY ACCELERATION PROBLEM.
    Get a tune to tone the torque management down a bit, and tighten up the shifting. And turn off the caps lock.

Blog Entries

I did notice a whistle that made it sound like I have the smallest turbo known to man.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Sr. Mechanic

Haha yeah I use to have one several years ago on my old dodge and all I got was a whistling turbo
    2004 GMC Sierra SLT 6.0L 4x4
    UWS Low Profile toolbox 10% tint front and over stock back tint
    AirAid MIT and K&N airfilter
    BlackBear Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    I did notice a whistle that made it sound like I have the smallest turbo known to man.
    That whistling sound is created by friction of the air dragging across the thing and is actually hurting your performance by slowing the air down as it passes through.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo View Post
    That whistling sound is created by friction of the air dragging across the thing and is actually hurting your performance by slowing the air down as it passes through.
    More than likely it's actually created by a leak in the seal between the spacer and the intake, or between the spacer and the throttle body; sucking air in and causing the whistle sound.

The "turbo whine" is caused by the protruding teeth or "threads" on the inner edge of the spacer. A vacuum leak large enough to make that sound will cause a massive loss in performance not only at idle, but also at highway speeds with bucking and misfiring. The whistle sound is engineered in to make the spacer appear to be doing something. A TBI spacer on its own will not increase performance and in many cases, it will degrade performance, even to the point of turning the check engine light on.

You do not need a large vacuum leak to create a whistle sound. A pinhole that you can't even see is enough to suck air in and create a whistle sound; and it won't cause any noticible performance degradation or a CEL. I've had it happen before on a 25 year old car with a stock engine and air intake. The rubber for the intake hose was old and had some very tiny stress tears from repeated removal and install over the years, as it has to be twisted in just the right way to fit both ends of it to the filter housing and the throttle body, while stuffing the ridgid PVC tube into it on the underneath where you can't even see it. It would be fine at idle or cruise, but when stepping on the throttle to accelerate or pass it would sometimes whistle. It was caused by air getting sucked in between the rubber and PVC tube, and didn't cause any performance issues, nor any bucking, misfires, or a CEL. It was just annoying.

Blog Entries

Considering the fact that with removal of the TB spacer the whistling sound goes away, I am pretty sure that is what is creating the noise.

Unfortunately for me, I just recently unloaded my original air box WITH the fasteners to the throttle body going with it. Now I am stuck with the spacer until I get new bolts, and they are not high on the priority list anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkeshelton View Post
    SO i TAKE IT THAT PUTTING ONE ON MY 2009 SERRIA WOULD BE A WASTE OF TIME, WAS HOPING FOR A QUICK FIX TO MY ACCELERATION PROBLEM.
    Nikkeshelton, your acceleration problem is very likely due to GM's Torque Management. Basically, when you stomp the pedal, it can take up to 4 seconds to get full power. They do this to protect the driveline from jarring. It's a widely held opinion though, that you can remove some of the Torque Management (also known as TM) and get a whole bunch of throttle response in return.

I pulled 50% from my 2006 and it was an amazing difference. I then fully upgraded my transmission, and removed all that I could. Even more improvement from that.

Handheld performance tuners or custom tunes can do this for you. It's handled through the PCM.

Also, consider cleaning your throttle body, if you've found your throttle response has deteriorated over time.

The link is an article I wrote on the subject (cleaning your throttle body). Cheers.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8007216_perf...intenance.html

-Skippy
    2006 Vortec Max 1500
    Performance:
    -Custom Tune (389HP 440 Ft/lbs Trq - Dyno'd) | Volant CAI | Magnaflow Dual-in/out Exhaust w/3" stainless pipe tips | Fully Built Transmission w/ Red Eagle Clutches & Kolene Steels w/ Corvette Servos and Stage2 Shift Kit | 35K Tranny Cooler | Mobil 1 | Royal Purple Rear Diff
    Other:
    -Spray-in Bed Liner
    -Premium Sound w/lifetime Satellite Radio | Leather | Sunroof | Heated Seats
    -Limbstriping from USING the truck (those are badges of honor)

Thanks! I'll look into both solutions!