GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Heater problems

Default Heater problems

When I turn on the heater switch, it will take a while to warm up before anything even barely comes out even on the highest setting. Then at some point it will start blowing out like it should and is fine. It has only done that a few times. Usually it barely blows anything out, but it is hot air when it does. The switch is supposed to vary the amount/speed of air coming out, but it doesn't work that way. Could I have a bad blower motor, or a bad switch?
    1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 505ci/8.2L V8
    1996 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 350ci/5.7L V8

My '04 has similar problems and I thing we both have "switch" problems. I'm no mechanic, but I believe it is the switch. Good luck.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Does the fan sound like it's blowing, but you're not getting any air out or is it just not blowing at all for a while?
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Sounds like the switch or Blower motor resistor might have had it.
    -=Howie=-:sarcastic:

Its not the professional drivers I worry about. Its the Amateurs.
    1999 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab W/T 8'Bed, 350 Vortec 2wd "Ghost"

the blower motor resistor controls fan speed thats about it if it blows on all settings it has nothing to do with the resistor..however it may just have a high temp thermostat in it and it takes a while to get up to the certin temp needed to open..its hard to tell what you have for a problem by your discription
    99 silverado 4.8l with 6.0 throttle body,full tci rebuild with shift kit transmission with no reverse,eaton posi,flowmaster exhaust
    97 s10 350 pushing 350hp,5 speed trans,headman headers...kenwood in dash double din touch screen dvd,kenwood 6 disk changer-just a project truck

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt

A person who makes unnecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
    - Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
    - Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
    - Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
    - Body kit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
    - Clear tail lights and corner signals
    - A "performance intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
    - Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some 3000gt's Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therefore not always considered rice, but it really depends on the severity of the case.

(courtesy urban dictionary)

True, but we dont know if the blower motor even works at point.
    -=Howie=-:sarcastic:

Its not the professional drivers I worry about. Its the Amateurs.
    1999 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab W/T 8'Bed, 350 Vortec 2wd "Ghost"

Ok, sorry for the delay. It turns out the heater switch is fine. The wires/connections going to the blower motor are LOOSE. I either just have to jiggle those wires or tap on the blower motor to get it to work. Now to fix it, either I get a new motor and put it in, to see if that fixes it to where it works everytime and I don't have to tap on it, or I figure out if it is just the loose connection on the wires and figure out a way to make them tighter
    1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 505ci/8.2L V8
    1996 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 350ci/5.7L V8

you should hear a funny growling or noise similar to something dragging if it were the blower motor. if this is on your 1996 then it more than likely is the switch they have a bad history of going out. both went out on my wife's 98 suburban (which has the same to controls) Her blower motor went completely out and i had to replace it. And I mean it was squealing loud, I replaced it and now it works but only on low and high so her switch is bad too. depending on who or where you get those control panels with the switches they are kind of costly. I recomend talking to the dealer and checking ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytech View Post
    you should hear a funny growling or noise similar to something dragging if it were the blower motor. if this is on your 1996 then it more than likely is the switch they have a bad history of going out. both went out on my wife's 98 suburban (which has the same to controls) Her blower motor went completely out and i had to replace it. And I mean it was squealing loud, I replaced it and now it works but only on low and high so her switch is bad too. depending on who or where you get those control panels with the switches they are kind of costly. I recomend talking to the dealer and checking ebay.
    funny you mention that..exactly what mine is doing..getting worse to. blowing of hot air as i notice increases and decreases depending on how fast im traveling. if at a light, barely anything hot..it slightly turns to cold air.
    99 Silverado - Stock