GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I own a 42' LCD from LG and love the quality and also own a 56' toshiba DLP and love the picture. The only downside to plasma is that it can burn an image into the screen if it is left on for very long periods of time

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    I AGREE 100%
    we have a 54 inch LCD Magnavox.. great tv!

Plasma is a form of a liquid
    LCD is a bunnnchhhhh of mirriors.

I would reccomend LCD.
    And Blu Ray is an AMAZING picture!

dont forget surround soiund too
    Hehe, LCD = LIQUID crystal display. Just thought this was kinda funny. No offense intended!

And LCD is what's up. Plasma will not last nearly as long and does have the burn in feature. I would recommend the Samsung LCD with the new LED technology. It's mantastic, nuff said.

Oh, and if you go Blue-ray, make sure you get one with an adequate refresh rate. Otherwise you will be extremely disappointed with yourself... :(
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

I picked up a 37 inch Vizio full HD along with DishNetwork HD channels for my bedroom, along with the PS3, looks amazing . Now i'm just debating on the best surround sound system I can get. I actually thinking about getting a 40 inch maybe after the first of the year.
    1985 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer 3 inch body lift, 32x 10.50= SOLD =( I miss that damn truck
    1996 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, Glad it's gone!
    2004 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD, White 4 door 2WD

Default TV's

I have a 52" Sharp LCD in an entertainment center that raises the TV up and down with a Sony Dream System for the surround sound (use fiber optic cables for the best sound), we moved our 42" Philips plasma with ambilight to the bed room on a wall mount, and we also have a 37" Vizio LCD. Looking to get a Blu-Ray with surround sound when I return from Iraq. Does anyone know of any that have wireless speakers?
    Justin Winstead
    -Air Raid Cold Air Intake -Power Aid Throttle Body Spacer -Flow Master Dual Exhaust
    -20 S.E.R.E. BMF Wheels -3 in BMF Leveling Kit -Nitto Terra Grappler Tires

My 52" Samsung LCD is the bomb diggity

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

3 of my friends got new tv's for christmas, only one of which was an LCD. The quality of the plasma is outstanding, but the longevity of its lifespan my be disappointing in the end due to its need to burn gasses which it WILL eventually run out of whereas LCD doesnt use gasses therefore you dont have to worry about it running out. plasma's life expectancy is somewhere around ten years give or take a few depending on how much you use it. the burn in thing, 2 of the tv's are panasonic brand, and i recomend carefully reading the owners manual b/c they have features that will help increase the life of your screen and picture.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

I have the original 27" TV/stereo that my IN LAWS had for 20 years. We are gonna see how long it will go. By the way the picture is great and, I can spend the extra Mon. on truck parts. he he he he. I also have a "Pocket fisherman" that I fish Bass tournaments with........lol
    :sign0011:
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

Ultimately what tv you should get depends greatly on what type of viewing you plan on doing with it and the environment you are doing it in. For example, the new buzzword in LCD panels is screen frame rate, that is how many frames it displays per second. you can expect to pay 150 to 200% more for a panel that has a 120Hz framerate versus a 60Hz framerate. (for comparison most plasma panels have a framerate of around 480Hz)

Another big advantage of plasma over lcd is the 'black levels', which is to say that plasmas typically have much deeper, truer blacks than the highest end of LCD's. So if you're planning on doing a lot of movie watching (especially action flicks) or sports, then plasma may be the way to go.However there are a couple of caveats with plasma. The Burn in issue is no longer a big deal because most manufacturers have a pixel shift feature to prevent this.

I originally purchased a plasma set only to bring it back for an LCD set. Why? Glare issues plain and simple. You need to be very aware of where you are placing the set, if its in a room with a lot of windows then you should purchase an LCD. Also depending on the altitude you are using it at can determine your choices. Plasma does not perform well over a certain altitude due to the gases in it. Also Plasmas must be upright at all times due to this same reason.

As far as screen resolution (ie 1080p vs 720p) this can also depend on viewing circumstances and screen size. For example if you have a 37" LCD tv like myself and your viewing distance is ~12 feet away you will not notice a difference between the 720p and 1080p screen resolution unless you have the eyes of a hawk. Now the difference between the two resolutions becomes more apparent if you increase the screen size or decrease the viewing distance. So it all depends on the viewing circumstances as far as whats worth it to you.

You might've noticed I've spent a significant amount of time researching this. But I like to know what I am spending my money on before I committ. Ultimately it depends on what you are looking for and your viewing evironment and habits. Let me know if anything I've said is incorrect or if you have any more questions. Here is a handy link I found regarding resolutions corresponding to screen size and viewing distance:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html
    Current vehicle: 2008 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4wd
    Former vehicles: 1995 Chevy beretta
    1991 pontiac 6000 LE
    1992 Oldsmobile 98 Regency
    1991 Buick Skylark
    1988 Chevrolet Celebrity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12