GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 454 smells like exhaust immediatly

Hey everyone,

I am looking into purchasing a 99 Suburban with a 454. When the owner started the engine I had the hood popped open and was peaking my head inside to see/hear the startup.

As soon as the engine started I could smell the very pungent smell of exhaust. I'm pretty sure it was coming from the engine and not the tailpipe.

Any reason for this? Anything I should be concerned of if I purchase?

Otherwise the engine sounded pretty good!

check to see if anything is wrong with the exhaust manifold. any holes or rot?

Quote Originally Posted by trenchwarfare View Post
    check to see if anything is wrong with the exhaust manifold. any holes or rot?
    agreed

have you checked the code yet??
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

ALOT of these new trucks have a problem with the exhaust manifold bolt heads just snapping off on their own i know i have at least two on mine that have i just havent gotten around to replacing them..i dont really want too because a steel bolt and aluminum head makes for a real good time replacing them
    99 silverado 4.8l with 6.0 throttle body,full tci rebuild with shift kit transmission with no reverse,eaton posi,flowmaster exhaust
    97 s10 350 pushing 350hp,5 speed trans,headman headers...kenwood in dash double din touch screen dvd,kenwood 6 disk changer-just a project truck

Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt

A person who makes unnecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
    - Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
    - Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
    - Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
    - Body kit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
    - Clear tail lights and corner signals
    - A "performance intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
    - Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some 3000gt's Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therefore not always considered rice, but it really depends on the severity of the case.

(courtesy urban dictionary)

Sounds like an exhaust leak. Check the manifolds at the pipe connection. There may be a doughnut (gasket) that has rotted out or a loose connection. Most times with an exhaust leak you'll hear it a little bit.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4