GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another '99 K2500 Question

I'm also another one considering purchasing a 3/4 ton burb. I have found a '99 K2500 with a 350. The truck is a base model and has no carpet and has vinyl interior. It does have a/c and 4wd which is all I really wanted. I like the base model but am concerned with the engine. I tow an old Jeep that is pretty heavy as it's been purpose built for rock crawling. My wife has an '05 Z71 burb that I've been towing it with and it does pretty well but I wanted my own truck. This truck will also be my daily driver. It was a fleet vehicle and looks to be in REALLY good condition in and out. Asking price is $4,900. Can y'all give some guidance on the engine and it's ability to tow a heavy load. Also comment on the asking price. Oh, it has 95,000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Looks like y'all have a great site.

Forgot to mention my wife's 05 Z71 is the best vehicle we've owned. No problems at all and we've got almost 60k on it.

I had a '99 3/4 ton crew cab swb pick up with the 350 in it. I used it to pull a 28' fifth wheel. When I went to a 33' 5th wheel I went to a diesel due to needing extra power. It did a good job on the first trailer, but I wouldn't trust it to pull the 33' one. If you aren't doing real heavy duty towing, the 350 should do well.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Blog Entries

it will pull just about anything within reason, you'll have no problems just maybe install a trans cooler
    1998 GMC Sierra SLE- Bone stock engine, 4'' in dash dvd 2 10" subs 800watt amp.

1999 Buick Park avesdf

1971 Buick Electra 225 built 455 and turbo 400

Blog Entries

not to mention 4900 is a steal on a 99 4wd
    1998 GMC Sierra SLE- Bone stock engine, 4'' in dash dvd 2 10" subs 800watt amp.

1999 Buick Park avesdf

1971 Buick Electra 225 built 455 and turbo 400

Quote Originally Posted by retired2001 View Post
    I had a '99 3/4 ton crew cab swb pick up with the 350 in it. I used it to pull a 28' fifth wheel. When I went to a 33' 5th wheel I went to a diesel due to needing extra power. It did a good job on the first trailer, but I wouldn't trust it to pull the 33' one. If you aren't doing real heavy duty towing, the 350 should do well.
    agreed it should have no problem, and will be a good d.d. !

the price seems right!

how about a some pics of your Jeep!

Let us know what you choose!
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Thanks for the replies. I've sent the guy an email requesting additional pics. The burb looks great from the 9 pics he posted. Last vehicle I bought online was a good deal too so hopefully this works out.

As for the Jeep, it's a '73 CJ5 stretched to 101" wheelbase, spooled 9" rear with chromo axle shafts, locked D44 front with chromo axle shafts, 5.13 gears...blah blah blah...fuel injected 304. It runs pretty well and keeps me entertained.

Here is a picture:
    ABNSIGO (Stands for Airborne Sigo)
    '05 Z71 Suburban pulllin' a '73 Jeep CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    agreed it should have no problem, and will be a good d.d. !

the price seems right!

how about a some pics of your Jeep!

Let us know what you choose!
    Thanks...just saw you are from Deer Park. My wife went to DP HS. She graduated in '89. I'm originally from Houston but can't really claim a place anymore as we've moved around a bit. Next stop is Louisiana next June.
    ABNSIGO (Stands for Airborne Sigo)
    '05 Z71 Suburban pulllin' a '73 Jeep CJ5

The GM small block is the most popular engine ever produced and it has an acceptable power range for towing. Although Suburban's are heavy vehicles the 350 engine does a good job of moving them down the road even with a heavy load behind it.
    I've owned a couple different Suburbans with the 350 that were used to tow Jeep and Toyota crawlers I've owned over the years, sometimes they've felt a little underpowered but this usually occurs in the high mountain areas when I've got the truck really loaded down, the solution is to drive a little slower.
    Last year we towed 2 Toyotas on a 38' trailer to Colorado and back with a 99 2500/350 Suburban, we werent the fastest truck on the grades but it did ok, we were able to stow all our camping gear out of the rain and snow, we had a warm dry place to sleep at night, and we had entertainmant on the DVD system. The truck got an average of 14mpg for the trip.
    With the popularity of the 350 you can add a wide variety of power/mileage enhancing items to improve towing performance.
    I use a 97 Suburban K2500 with a 454 for a tow vehicle right now, I'd love to exchange the big block for a 350 with a little better mileage since I use the truck around town once in a while, but the cost of the swap isnt feasable at this time with fuel prices where they are.
    I think this Suburban would be a great deal that you'll be very happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by abnsigo View Post
    Thanks...just saw you are from Deer Park. My wife went to DP HS. She graduated in '89. I'm originally from Houston but can't really claim a place anymore as we've moved around a bit. Next stop is Louisiana next June.
    Ill be graduating next year

That is a good looking buggy, I love Jeeps!!

Show us some of the pics of the sub!

Good Luck!
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast