GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: no brake lights

Default no brake lights

ok guys/gals, my dad has a 94 silverado! brake lights aren't working, tail lights work, signals work, just no brake lights! on the right side signal, when head lights r on, the right signal blinks like double time! we have changed the brake light switch, nothing happened, checked with the volt meter thingy on his old 1, & it was good according to the volt meter, pretty sure he has checked the bulbs! is there a ground problem, wiring harness connection, anything, any kind of help would be nice! thanks, carl!
    Carl
    2005 GMC Sierra 1500, reg cab, 4.8 ltr, 5 spd, 4X4, Flowmaster 40 series w/3" exhaust pipes & 4" tips. ReadyLift torsion bar keys(part#66-3000), K&N air filter (soon to be getting a AFE Pro Dry S airfilter), & airbox mod .

have yall checked the fuses?
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    have yall checked the fuses?
    yep, we have checked all the fuses, sorry forgot to mention that! the fuse box, that has a fuse spot, for brake, doesnt have a clip or anything to even hold a fuse in it, so i dunno if that was ment to be like that, or, maybe the truck never had brake lights!

I had this issue with my old 95 Z28. I sold the car before I took the time to figure it out. It wasn't fuses and I couldn't find a ground issue. But then again we're talking about taillights and I didn't go over the entire harness looking for issues. I would say that's what you need to do... and boy does that suck. I always start with the exhaust manifolds/headers though. 3 separate times I've had issues with wires being burned there.

2007 Silverado LS 4x4 1500 | 4.8L Vortec | Crew Cab
    SGT Davis - US Army POW-MIA You are not forgotten...

Quote Originally Posted by sdavis2702 View Post
    I had this issue with my old 95 Z28. I sold the car before I took the time to figure it out. It wasn't fuses and I couldn't find a ground issue. But then again we're talking about taillights and I didn't go over the entire harness looking for issues. I would say that's what you need to do... and boy does that suck. I always start with the exhaust manifolds/headers though. 3 separate times I've had issues with wires being burned there.
    yeah, i guess thats what we r going to have to do! i guess i can try that sometimes this week!

I have the same problem with a 1999 2500 4x4 Suburban. Someone told me in another post that it is the connector plate behind the tail light lens - it's a black chunk of plastic with an internal circuit board that the bulb sockets are mounted to. I am buying some replacements today - hope they work!

Legend

its your boards that the bulbs are mounted in, pull them out of the laillights and look at all the connectors where the bulbs pop into they are gonna be slighlty scorched, they are pretty cheap to replace as they are a common problem, most good junk yards carry these that are brand new
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

something else you might also think about or check is if there was any trailer lighting hook up added after the truck was bought some back woods people like to just twist the wires together and then wrap electrical tape on the connection after to protect the connection. I personally use butt connectors and heat shrink so that any connections i make stay made. after only a short while the electrical tape starts to turn gooey and then unravels and you have shorts in the system and that could just as easily be the problem since both would involve the lights at the rear of the truck. if nothing else might be something else to check.

cool thanks guys, ill give those a check!

you might want to try the wire harness ontrailer plug wiring. or the tail light scockets
    even a bulb in the front turn signel

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by