GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tranny Temp Gauge

I want to install a tranny temp gauge in my 700r4...the transmission is brand new however and i was told that most people drop the pan and braze in a bung and have the sensor in the pan...i dont want to do that however...i was also told some people put it in the hot line of the transmission cooller lines, which i think will work fine....If anyone has a picture of this that would be great...im having a hard time understanding how to get the sensor to be inline in the hot side hose....

If you installed an external tranny filter, you can get one that has a spot for a temp gauge. I'ts also not a bad idea to upgrade to an aftermarket tranny cooler. It's not a bad idea to put the sensor in the pan. They make aftermarket pans that increase the fluid capacity, have cooling fins on them, and have a spot for a temp sensor. I'm planning on getting one, but I'm probably going to wait until my engine rebuild to do it.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Sr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mike4089 View Post
    I want to install a tranny temp gauge in my 700r4...the transmission is brand new however and i was told that most people drop the pan and braze in a bung and have the sensor in the pan...i dont want to do that however...i was also told some people put it in the hot line of the transmission cooller lines, which i think will work fine....If anyone has a picture of this that would be great...im having a hard time understanding how to get the sensor to be inline in the hot side hose....
    Mike, I don't have one in my Suburban, but I did install an AutoMeter gauge in my old 4Runner, using a "t" adaptor (also from AutoMeter) to put the sensor in the line. Some will say you should never cut a transmission cooler line, but I double clamped both sides and it's had no issues in 40K+ miles. Hope this helps.
    2000 K1500 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by BurtsBurb View Post
    Mike, I don't have one in my Suburban, but I did install an AutoMeter gauge in my old 4Runner, using a "t" adaptor (also from AutoMeter) to put the sensor in the line. Some will say you should never cut a transmission cooler line, but I double clamped both sides and it's had no issues in 40K+ miles. Hope this helps.

i think thats going to be the plan...ill just clamp it down really good and keep an eye on it...i almost have this jeep driving, and with a brand new transmission i really want the gauge to keep a good eye on the temp....Thanks for your help!