GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How To: External Mirror Glass Replacement

Broke my mirror backing into garage a week ago. My truck has the heated, auto dimming, and signal in the mirror, so called dealer. The replacement mirror (just the glass) was around $514 if I remember. While the whole assembly with power fold was just over $600.

So checked on ebay, found one for just over $100 (the mirror itself).

I didn't know how to take the lens out so I took the whole assembly off, put it on the kitchen table and after about 20 minutes off trying to figure out how to get it off. I got mad and just pried the lens off and low and behold thats how you take it off. Just pry on the lens itself it will pop off, disconect the two small wires and you are good to go.
    Last edited by Springthing; 07-24-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Title

Photos? Would love to see this as I have to help someone replace a mirror this weekend.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Default Forgot one detail...

Forgot one detail. If yours breaks and you have that auto dim feature do not let that fluid leak onto your paint. If you break your mirror, I would suggest, just suggest now, to pop off the lens to avoid that fluid leaking out, and as your driving, streak down the side of your trucks paint.

The only way I was able to get that nastiness off was to buff it with cleaner wax, 2 to 3 times. Even on the door glass aswell. But it did sit on my truck for about 3 days due to the snow and weather we were having at that time here in Ohio.
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 04-02-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: linebreaks added for clarity

Default photos...

Here is a photo. Turn the mirror as far right as you can, get a small pry bar, or a medium screw driver, and put it behind the mirroron the left side on one of the little tabs and pry on them.

Remember just take your time pry gently and she'll pop off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails glass 001.JPG   glass 003.JPG   glass 004.JPG  

Who would'a thunk that a mirror would cost over $500! Glad all my mirrors are simple plane-jane mirrors with no power anything.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

I have a 98 K1500 without anything I don't think... All I know for sure right now is that it has automatic mirrors. The ones that I always used to play around with when I was a kid? Those mirrors are on my truck and bee's always happen to find a way to get inside the stinking mirror well. I was wondering if this method worked for my year too?

Legend

Blog Entries

Ryan, I think the original poster was just sharing a discovery about how he came about to change his mirror glass, I don't think he'd be aware of whether or not it is the same for your application. If you pop it off, though, come back and let us know if it was the same for you!
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy