GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Which synthetic oil should I use?

i have a 2008 silverado 4.8 which synthetic oil should i use? or should i stay with standard oil?

I have always used Mobil 1. It is some of the best you can get and can be had for about $25 or so in a 5 qt. jug at wal-mart.

I've also heard good things about Penzoil Platinum as well an it is a few bucks cheaper than M1.

Definately make the switch, and extend oil changes as well. I change my filter and top off at 5,000 miles then drain, change filter, and refill at 10,000. M1 is proven to last that long and still have as good or better lube properties as dyno oils.
    1999 Sierra ECSB, 5.3L, 3.42 Locking Rear, True Flow Filter, Dynomax Super Turbo, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold, Bully Tailgate Lock

Legend

Blog Entries

Make that 2 for Mobil 1. As I've read through posts on this forum I've come to the conclusion that there are several oils out there. You can either use the best oil, the bestest oil, the besterest oil, or the betterbestest oil. It all comes down to... preference!

My preference from now on: Mobil 1, changed out every 7500k+ miles.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

It's pretty hard to go wrong with Mobil 1. Although, I am running Royal Purple. I figured I'd try it and it is a very good syn., but I don't know if it is worth the extra expense. I was going to switch back to M1 at my last oil change, but it was only $7 more to stay with RP, where I have mine done so I stayed with RP.

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Default Synthetic oil

I've always heard that royal purple is some of the best but also most expensive. I've seen on tv multiple truck shows that say they experienced a gain of a mile or two fuel wise and very small performance gains. But I don't know for myself if it is worth the extra money. Hope this helps.
    Mike - OREGON

2001 chevy silverado 4x4. 5.3L, 6 inch Fabtech lift, 35" Toyo MT's, 17" Weld Racing wheels, arma coating on rocker panels. No exhaust after cat. Pioneer stereo

Quote Originally Posted by retired2001 View Post
    It's pretty hard to go wrong with Mobil 1. Although, I am running Royal Purple. I figured I'd try it and it is a very good syn., but I don't know if it is worth the extra expense. I was going to switch back to M1 at my last oil change, but it was only $7 more to stay with RP, where I have mine done so I stayed with RP.
    Same here!

I am runniing Royal Purple with a KN oil filter.!

I would def. make the switch!
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

I use NAPA's products. I get the fully synthetic which is the same as valvoline, and I do say that carefully haha. But, BOTH are made by Ashland Oil. The best part is its cheaper than near everything for fully synthetic valvoline. For my filter I use the NAPA Gold filter. Made by Wix, which last I checked was a pretty darn good filter! I usually change after either 4-5 months or 4,000 miles, whichever comes first. To top it off my brother works at a NAPA warehouse so I get awesome discounts on all of this as well :D. But, whatever you do, GO SYNTHETIC!! You will feel the difference as you drive away! Hope this helps!
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

Blog Entries

I prefer amsoil but my wallet doesn't so I'm currently running royal purple $45 for 5 qts and filter where I'm at
    1998 GMC Sierra SLE- Bone stock engine, 4'' in dash dvd 2 10" subs 800watt amp.

1999 Buick Park avesdf

1971 Buick Electra 225 built 455 and turbo 400

I started with Royal Purple, but decided to switch to Mobil 1 to save some coin. I have heard great things about both. I also run a K&N oil filter. I wanted to make sure to have a good filter since you run with the synthetic oil for much longer than conventional.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Jr. Mechanic

ive had drag cars, street cars, trucks you name it. Ive run everything from supertech (walmart brand) to amsoil. In my opinion ams oil i did notice a difference, but im going to stick with either Mobil 1 or royal purple. I know everyone out there says to not change till 5K, 7500, or 10K whatever. I still do a change every 3500 miles, and i run ac delco filters.
    2008 Silverado, 5.3, G80, Extended Cab, California package, 20's, Direct trend motorsports 3" muffler dumped, Volant/CSI cold air intake, 2005 Preadtor Troy Lee Edition

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by