GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Legend

Default Tire Suggestions??

I want to get a 4 inch lift and put some 18 inch wheels on 33" tires. I know mud tires dont work well in the snow, so I need a good on/off-road tire with good winter grip, I am not a fan of BFG tires, any real world help/experiance?
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Cooper tires are very good for the price. I had two sets on my old truck. when i bought my new truck it had firestone, they work alright too, alot more expensive though

I've used BFG mud terrains in the snow with no problem, and Pro Comp All terrains are pretty good.

i lve got toyo M/Ts and they are great so far but if you dont want mud tires i would go with toyo A/ts
    2004 GMC Sierra
    pace headers
    magna flow muffler
    gm performance intake
    305/70/16 Toyo MT
    16in hello maxx rims
    1987 Chevy K5 blazer
    stock 350
    4" lift 35s

i have no experience in snow but my new bfg at's are awesome... i had some firestone destinations before and they werent as aggressive but still held their own
    2008 NBS Silverado Z85

4.8 V8
    -8000k HIDS
    -AVS Bugflector II
    -20% tint all around
    -17x9 Moto Metal 951
    -Rough Country 2'' Leveling Kit
    -Putco Window Visors
    -Blacked out headlights (courtesy of JAKD-UP)
    -285/70/17 BF Goodrich All Terrains (minimal rubbing still) :grrrrrr:
    -Blacked out grille and both bumpers
    -Smoked taillights
    -Blue interior dome lights

"A work in progress is something every man should have"

Cooper ST's or STT's are great in the mud and snow and just about everything else you can throw at them.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

For the winter months we used to buy a good tread or retread with a square pattern like knobbies on a motorcross bike. You can't beet this pattern for snow. I've travelled alot in the white stuff as it's on the ground more than it's gone here in Canada. Put a good pattern on her and weight in the back and you'll be pulling out the boys with mudders.
    :sign0011:
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

Blog Entries

You need to first decide if want an aggressive traction tire, or an all-terrain tire. If you don't plan on off-roading much and travel mostly on paved roads then all-terrains would be more what you are looking for. I have had both BFG A/T's as well as BFG M/T's on my 87 Blazer. And Toyo A/T's and currently Toyo M/T's on my Silverado. Both brands and styles were great in the snow (both A/t's maybe a little better) and the A/T's are quieter on pavement. My wife has Toyo A/T's on her 2001 suburban and has no traction problems driving in winter conditions.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Default 10 ply's?

We bought our 99 burb with BFG Commercial T/A, load range E, and apparently they have lasted for quite a while (the dealership where the previous owner had it serviced recommended these)

95% of the time we'll be on roads, some snow, but not usually deep. Less concerned about traction with 4wd. What would be a good on road, long lasting tire?
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    You need to first decide if want an aggressive traction tire, or an all-terrain tire. If you don't plan on off-roading much and travel mostly on paved roads then all-terrains would be more what you are looking for. I have had both BFG A/T's as well as BFG M/T's on my 87 Blazer. And Toyo A/T's and currently Toyo M/T's on my Silverado. Both brands and styles were great in the snow (both A/t's maybe a little better) and the A/T's are quieter on pavement. My wife has Toyo A/T's on her 2001 suburban and has no traction problems driving in winter conditions.
    Current Rides: |99 Chevy Suburban- the family truckster |93 Lincoln Town Car- 250K miles & still churning -now a fan of the Panther platform |95 BMW 325is coupe- Wheeee!
    Former GM cars: |78 Suburban 454 |71 Buick Electra 225 (deuce & a quarter) |75 Monte Carlo- 400SB- heaviest doors GM every made |70 Impala coupe- my 1st car

Quote Originally Posted by Family Force 6 View Post
    We bought our 99 burb with BFG Commercial T/A, load range E, and apparently they have lasted for quite a while (the dealership where the previous owner had it serviced recommended these)

95% of the time we'll be on roads, some snow, but not usually deep. Less concerned about traction with 4wd. What would be a good on road, long lasting tire?
    thanks.
    BFG AT's
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses: