GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default This is how to bypass onstar!!!

Their is a 6 pin connector on the back of your stereo. Grab the pink wire which i believe its remote for the stock amp. Then grab your new head unit remote wire and join those two and your set!

Blog Entries

Great to know! Where did you get the info?
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

got it from an avalanche forum and i tried it myself and it did work!!!

Blog Entries

Sweet! That will be useful for the future (I have a 2001 Suburban).
    Thanks for sharing!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

just a thought.... if you guys, or me, or anyone for that matter, are "bypassing" all this factory installed equipment, FUSE EVERYTHING!! if your going to be jumping wires and things like that, its not a bad idea at all.

i had a guy in the shop, today actually, that tried to bypass a DVD player and completly fried his ignition wire all the way from the radio, to the computer!! lots of smoke, no more radio and about $200 later, he wishes he would have put a fuse on there! so, just wanted to share that info with you guys!

GOOD LUCK!!

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado

Master Mechanic

thank you!!!! i just bought a 2002 tahoe and trying to put my 7" monitor in and i had it all hooked up and now sound. no bose, does have the sub and onstar. i put the stock radio back in hooked up both plugs worked fine, unhooked the small plug no sound. i will try this in the morning, really wanting to get the thing back together to enjoy it this weekend!!!!

2002 Tahoe LT---------TINTED WINDOWS------------7" DUAL DVD INDASH

Real quick. This needs addressed before someone Fs up their truck. An 02 wiring system is WAY different then an 06. First off, in 02 it was still an analogue setup and the harness kit only cost a whopping 20 bucks. Second in 03 GM introduced the CAN system. It's a form of reduced data they used to help simplify the wiring system, basically, one wire does multiple things using fluctuations in resistance in the ground circuit (DC current travels from the negative terminal of the battery towards the positive ie. "the electron flow theory"). Now in 04 they introduced the CAN-BUS system, same theory, slightly refined for more efficiency. The CAN systems are most obvious in the lock circuits, headlight circuits and radio circuits, the radio circuit varies a HUGE amount from 02 to 06, if you "tap" into some unknown pink wire behind your deck and force feed 14.4volts through it, your playing with fire, you will most likely overload a reduced voltage multiplexed circuit and smoke components not excluded to the radio system.

Secondly, you do need a module to retain your factory steering controls.
    Last edited by zigger215; 01-23-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Real quick. This needs addressed before someone Fs up their truck. An 02 wiring system is WAY different then an 06. First off, in 02 it was still an analogue setup and the harness kit only cost a whopping 20 bucks. Second in 03 GM introduced the CAN system. It's a form of reduced data they used to help simplify the wiring system, basically, one wire does multiple things using fluctuations in resistance in the ground circuit (DC current travels from the negative terminal of the battery towards the positive ie. "the electron flow theory"). Now in 04 they introduced the CAN-BUS system, same theory, slightly refined for more efficiency. The CAN systems are most obvious in the lock circuits, headlight circuits and radio circuits, the radio circuit varies a HUGE amount from 02 to 06, if you "tap" into some unknown pink wire behind your deck and force feed 14.4volts through it, your playing with fire, you will most likely overload a reduced voltage multiplexed circuit and smoke components not excluded to the radio system.

Secondly, you do need a module to retain your factory steering controls.
    Iam glad you posted this info....someone was going to really screw something up trying to save a few dollars on a harness.

The time you spend splicing wires you could have installed the right harness twice.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

I agree. It's not everyday knowledge so im happy to share it. Having a messed up electrical system is not fun. I had to rebuild the main harness on my 03 4runner because I forgot to add a critical diode. Voltage back-fed through a grounded circuit and melted the harness, didn't have the money to spend on a new one so I spent 4 straight days rebuilding and testing it on the bench!

Soon as i wrap my EE degree up I would love to go to work for GM, they lead the way with functional data circuits on domestics. (dodge ****s the bed!! )
    Last edited by zigger215; 01-24-2012 at 04:32 PM.