GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default The old service engine sonn light???

Took my 2001 silverado to the local muffler shop to get tail pipes put on truck. After left the service engine soon light came on. Friend has a auto xray scan tool and it said o2 sensors bank 1 and 2 no data input? Went to the o2 sensor section on the scanner and showed the voltage of the sensors seemed to be working properly?
    Reset the codes twice still keeps coming on?
    Anyone have any ideas or suggestiions?
    Thanks
    chris

Jr. Apprentice

Default o2

I would ensure that the o2 sensors connections are on tight. the voltage might be good but that does not mean that its doing its job. I would first check the connections because they send data to the computer and if one of the connector pins is not making contact then it will register as a o2 problem even though its reading voltage. I have had this problem before and i just checked my connections and it was fixed. if both are saying they are bad then fined a common point where the two send data to the computer first and then check them individually after that. I would not think both o2 sensors would go bad at the same time....but crazier things have happened.
    :great:

Sr. Apprentice

Default O2

Had the Service Engine Soon come on my 01 this weekend but code indicated no voltage on the bank 2 precat sensor so I had to replace it, What a bear. Specially since the parts store is 25 miles away and I didn't learn my truck was made in Canada until I had the sensor out and saw the difference, which caused a second trip in the wife's truck back to the store for the right sensor. One positive thing about the problem I found out what all my RPO codes stand for now. GO LOCKERS!!!
    As for your problem I think Chevyman got the right idea if both sensors are showing no data input look for a common cause. I checked my connector first but it turned out my sensor was burnt but I have high miliage and have no idea how the previous owner drove it.
    Good luck!

2001 Silverado Z71 Leveling kit, 285/75/16 Mickey T ATZs, Camo Accent. Special Camo Dipped Rims
    2005 Ford Expedition (WIFE's RIG)
    2003 KIA Sorento (Son's Ride)

Deceased Rigs
    1991CHEVY 3500 Dually (Recently departed 8MPG)
    1999 Ford F-150
    1978 Chevy C-10
    1988 Chevy Blazer II
    1978 Toy FJ-40
    1976 Chevy Stepside (1st 4X4, my highschool beach buggy)

Ill check it this weekend..... Its just weird that i go to the muffler shop and then the service light comes on?? It had a one in two out flowmaster with the pipes cut off past the muffler sounded like crap so i put tailpipes so it looked like duals coming out back and about 4 miles later the light comes on???????
    Thanks for the info guys
    chris

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Did they weld the system closed after everything was assembled? If so, did they use OXY/ACE or Mig or stick welder? If Mig/Stick was used did they disconnect your battery completely and the main wire to
    your altenator? If not, anyone of the sensors can take a hit from the ground from the welder and most can back up to the Alt/Battery and cause damage. Any good shop manual will inform you of this before welding. Appears that your one/both of the 02's were victims
    JMoney02

Thats what im kinda thinkin??????????????

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Shopey,

That's kind of standard when doing exhaust, at the very least the battery terminals, the ALT they say should be but is more caution. Come on, 1+1 still equals the light was not on before you came and on after you left, sorry for your troubles customer but we f... up.
    With both of them being a potential problem, one is heated(before the CAT) and one is not (after Cat). One or both could now be bad. Are they a reliable place? Stand behind their work? You can at the very least see if they will split the cost after you see if they will pay for the whole thing?

They are just dumb rednecks! Went back down there and they wanted to charge me just to hook it up to there computer!

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Appears that these boys are not in the customer service business, eh? Appears time to cut your losses
    and get away from these losers, but not sure how much you paid for your exhaust, did they a least do a good job on it?

Yeah only complaint is the 02 sensors!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by