GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No intake gasket job cost a grand. I'm sure it's head gaskets and they want to replace both. Now thats worth about a grand.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Retired's right, where did you get the quote from? 1k is about normal, offer a warranty with the repair? Get it writing, went to other places for comparision, you should.... Unless you have dealt with these guys before.

Jeff
    JMoney02

You can pull and replacde that manifold in about two hours or less Bring it to me, I'll beat their price by 20%
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

the intake gaskets are a common problem in the newer chevrolet's they are made out of plastic and have to be changed out kind of frequently because of that fact. This could just as easily been something as simple as air pockets in the cooling system if you just filled it and didn't run the truck while doing so there could still have been pockets of air in the system which would keep it from cooling properly and might have caused the issue you were having also. My tahoe had issues with the intake gaskets and if you are mechanically savy enough to change it out yourself you could have changed them yourself for about $30 - $50 the dealers in my area wanted $700 - $900 I had an off duty GM mechanic change mine out for me for $500.00 and he supplied everything.

ok here's the new info the reason they charged that much it's 90 an hour labor and them parts they said it would take 8 hours but I called around I got 375$ including parts and labor with 6 month warranty is that good???? Let me know guys otherwise I was thinking trading it in for a crew cab and it's not the head gasket the did a compression test and I am mechanically inclined with hondas I never owned a chevy it's my first one but it seams alot more complicated on a chevy truck but yea let me know guys

Now your looking for a reason to get a new truck.

yea but only cuz extended cab can be a pain with a babyseat and i wouldnt mind having power windows and locks

compression has nothing to do with your head gaskets leaking, that just proves it's not the head gaskets causing your problem. It's still a good thing but not related to the intake at all. one way to catch it if it is the intake is if you run the truck till it gets hot then shut it off and watch down both sides of the intake and see if you see any coolant at all on the intake manifold at all. with mine there was a pin hole leak up underneath my AC compressor on the drivers side of the front of the block I ran mine about 7 miles, stopped it and could hear what sounded like air leaking out. When I tried to find out where it was coming from there was coolant all around where it was coming out on the front of the intake. and like i said $500.00 and45 minutes later I was on my way with no more issues, I was just affraid of getting the distributor back in wrong and it never running again or i'd have done it myself. I have since gotten over that fear.
    The thing that gave me an Idea it might also be air in your cooling system is this. We had a 1986 Fiero that we purchased from a guy in Oklahoma city and drove back to Nashville in a few years ago and when we bought it , that car was having the same issues. It would run fine out on the highway but when we stopped for gas or to eat the cooling tank would boil over also which resulted in us keeping coolant jugs in the car. When we got back to Nashville one of my co-workers at Dell who used to be a GM mechanic informed me it was over heating because of air in the cooling system. The fiero's get air in the cooling system if they aren't elevated to 45 degrees and it causes them to over heat. once i pulled it up on ramps and topped off the coolant throught the thermostat housing the problem stopped. After that I had the same issue with my 89 silverado and learned that air was an issue with them too but you have to run the truck as you are filling it and the problem goes away. Proof positive was when I topped that one off with the truck running too. So there are educated reasons for both of my suggestions. try them and see for yourself. The worst that could happen is you have to spend the money to get the intake gaskets replaced.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy1015 View Post
    ok here's the new info the reason they charged that much it's 90 an hour labor and them parts they said it would take 8 hours but I called around I got 375$ including parts and labor with 6 month warranty is that good???? Let me know guys otherwise I was thinking trading it in for a crew cab and it's not the head gasket the did a compression test and I am mechanically inclined with hondas I never owned a chevy it's my first one but it seams alot more complicated on a chevy truck but yea let me know guys
    $375.00 good price with a warranty. Where's you head set at? Where's your heart set at? Where is your wallet set at? Doesn't matter which type you work on if you mechanically good they come a part the same way as they go back together. The price per hour is different in all the regions, but that will never change. So the question is what Do You Want To DO? We can hopefully give you good advise
    but you are the one who needs to make the final decision. I believe that it was ask if you had another car/truck and if so do you want to tackle the job, so you have to ask yourself a question.....

Jeff
    JMoney02

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12