Results 1 to 10 of 10
Thread: Electrical problem
12-02-2008, 06:07 PM #1
Hey, I'm new here and I have a 1990 GMC 1500..I just put a BRAND NEW battery in it, as well as a new starter..and here is the problem..when turning the key to the on position it only shows 9v, when I turn the right turn signal on it will go up to about 11v, when i go to crank it, it completely dies and my headlights are on, even tho the swtich is off. but if i go to jump start it it will show 14v crank over twice and die..I was thinking a possible short? or??..but I dont know where to start. ANY imput would be GREAT..
12-02-2008, 07:09 PM #2
12-02-2008, 07:25 PM #3
check all your grounds. any loose correction will give you a false reading
12-02-2008, 08:34 PM #4
check you battery terminals too!Dan
1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
...and every one of em has issues
If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM
12-02-2008, 09:38 PM #5
Well I found out what it was, and it was something stupid, it was the Neg. wire off the battery, I had already cleaned it good and had it tight or so i thought but the bolt was to long and tightend down but the cable didn't, so I checked it again and made sure it was clean and used a shorter bolt and works GREAT now...I was losing my mind trying to figure it out because I had already done it before but I'm glad thats all it was..thanks for the replys and help
-Ryan98% of Americans say "OH SH**!" before hitting a ditch, the other 2% are Alaskans and say "hold my beer, and watch this"
-1990 GMC 1500-400C.I.D.
-1984 Honda ATC 200X-Not too much is stock.
12-02-2008, 09:47 PM #6
- Join Date
- Jan 2007
- Yacolt, Washington
- Blog Entries
Welcome o the site! Glad it was something simple.Darcy
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.
12-02-2008, 09:56 PM #7
welome to the site!Ryan
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
4inch suspension 3inch body
Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
2inch Daystar Leveling kit
single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
12-04-2008, 12:27 AM #8
glad you got your problem fixed. always check the simpliest things first.
12-04-2008, 06:56 AM #9
- Join Date
- Oct 2008
- Gloucester, MA
- Blog Entries
Welcome to the site.
Good investigating. A++, Job well done.BRYAN
"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"
02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
12-08-2008, 08:53 AM #10
yeah for future reference when you tighten the cables down properly you should be able to grab the cable and try to move it from side to side and it should not easily move if at all. could have just as easily been something complicated like a really hard to find short. Glad it was something easy and simple for you , count your blessings, this was one of them for sure.
By 88Silverado in forum Chevy C/K Truck ForumReplies: 3Last Post: 06-15-2010, 10:12 AM
By tks20 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)Replies: 0Last Post: 03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
By bldawson89 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech QuestionsReplies: 10Last Post: 03-06-2010, 07:24 PM
By 540hp in forum Audio, Video & Gadget TechReplies: 2Last Post: 09-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Tags for this Thread