GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation Strange Clunking sound

For a little while Ive been having a weird clunk sound but only when I hit a bump or turn. At first I thought it was my CV joints but when I took it to get the oil changed they said it wasnt the CVs that it was the sway bar? They said that in trailblazers its a common thing that goes out on them...

do any of you have experience with this? how hard is it to replace? how much are we talking? and do I need to replace them in pairs or just single?

05 Chevrolet Trailblazer 52k miles

Unless you've been in an accident (or otherwise damaged it), the sway bar itself doesn't go bad. I expect what they saw were bad bushings or end links. Have you inspected them yourself? Can you see which bushing(s) is/are bad? Did they indicate front or rear sway bar?

Sway bars aren't a critical part of the suspension. One quick check would be to take the sway bar off and see if the noise goes away.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Exclamation

My wife took it into sears to get inspected and they said its because it was in AWD/4WD... I call BS on that because I've heard it while in 2WD too. It may be worse in 4wd though. He said its a safety mechanism and its supposed to knock like that...?

I had a problem like that, and i discovered it was my trailer hich rattling around in the receiver when i hit a bump....
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpenterGuy View Post
    I had a problem like that, and i discovered it was my trailer hich rattling around in the receiver when i hit a bump....

no its in the front. Im going to call the dealer tomorrow and ask them if it is supposed to make that noise

check with the dealer it may have the same problem as the pickups the mid shaft of the steering colum it is very common on the silvarado and sierra trucks mine goes in for replacement next week if it is out of warrenty it will cost about 259.00 to replace

2006 GMC 1500 Long Bed Vortec 4.3
    1982 S-10 Prodject Street/Track with a 327/300hp Motor built up to 415 hp

Go to safercar.gov You will find a technical service bulliten out on the steering shaft problem. That is most likely what is causing the problem. Mine was fixed under warranty,then failed again. The old fix was to repack it with grease,but it didn't last. The TSB says ther is a new part that is permanently sealed and should be the end of the problem. Because there is a TSB, most dealers will fix it free if you ask nicely and give them the TSB number. Mine was two years out of warranty ,but my Dealer did not hesitate to acknowledge it and fix it for ZIP!

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

My 1998 Suburban had a clunk.It was one of the front swaybar brackets- it was broken.
    It was really cheap-maybe $10 from the dealer-maybe it was just $5. I remember being extremely pleased because no OEM parts are cheap.
    Quick fix-maybe 10 minutes counting the time to get the tools out and put them away.

It would be a good idea to get under there and take a look before you bring it in.You might find something simple and cheap like I did. If someone who was under there said it "was the swaybar" maybe they actually saw a broken bracket??

Luck,
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

my guess would be the swaybar end links and bushings
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here