GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: XM Radio signal

Default XM Radio signal

I have been getting bad signal from my XM service.. It works great in the morning and evening but during the days I get no signal.. Is there another antenna that I can use that will give me better signal? Does anybody have any ideas how to get this working thought the day?

AccessHero

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010184.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	1510
    Last edited by accesshero; 12-04-2008 at 09:29 AM.
    2005 GMC Canyon

Sr. Apprentice

With your location it might be an enviromental issue and the angle of the satellites transmit antenna. Do you know someone else who has the same XM radio and antenna? If so do they get a better signal then you? There also could be a problem with your radio reciever not the antenna, how hot is your cab or under dash area get in the day compared to the other times it works. Check for a severly crimped antenna feed cable to the receiver, make sure your connectors are clean and don't have any corrision.
    Good Luck!

2001 Silverado Z71 Leveling kit, 285/75/16 Mickey T ATZs, Camo Accent. Special Camo Dipped Rims
    2005 Ford Expedition (WIFE's RIG)
    2003 KIA Sorento (Son's Ride)

Deceased Rigs
    1991CHEVY 3500 Dually (Recently departed 8MPG)
    1999 Ford F-150
    1978 Chevy C-10
    1988 Chevy Blazer II
    1978 Toy FJ-40
    1976 Chevy Stepside (1st 4X4, my highschool beach buggy)

Quote Originally Posted by CamoRig View Post
    With your location it might be an enviromental issue and the angle of the satellites transmit antenna. Do you know someone else who has the same XM radio and antenna? If so do they get a better signal then you? There also could be a problem with your radio reciever not the antenna, how hot is your cab or under dash area get in the day compared to the other times it works. Check for a severly crimped antenna feed cable to the receiver, make sure your connectors are clean and don't have any corrision.
    Good Luck!
    it may have to do with your location
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

I can't say I know anyone else with a XM radio in their vehicle .. I would have to check with some friends... The vehicle is not that hot during he days... Tropical climate and its mostly windy... I will have to check on my antenna connections as was recommended....

AccessHero
    2005 GMC Canyon

Your antenna may be going bad.How long have you had it?
    My truck - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L V6

My toy - 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R "673 cc's of fun!"

It sounds like you are on the end of the sat's footprit. That is to say that at some time during the earths rotation you are not getting enough signal to your geographic area. See if XM has a sat coverage map showing your area. I am asuming tat the XM is in your truck and you are in the open enough to verify that your service is only interrupted at certain times through out the day dant that is the only constant.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Replace the antena run the wire through the third brake light and tuck the wire in along the trim all the way to the receiver. Try not to kink the wire this should solve your problem. It worked for me.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

So, where is the antenna located? How long have you had the model your using? Did you just now notice this going hay wire during the day? Sirius and XM have merged and are in the process of unifying their signals for the first of the year complete change and marketing. Have just installed my 4th radio from Sirius( 3 Sportster models failed), threaten to cancel my Subscript, they sent free new radio,refunded three months services and paid for three months service. But for two years now I have griped* to them about losing the signal, radios going bad and various other issues so the person I had finally gotten was the better of all the CS's that I talked with.
    So, need to know all about your setup and then we can go from there.....

Jeff
    Last edited by 04sierracrewcab; 12-04-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: language :)
    JMoney02

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    It sounds like you are on the end of the sat's footprit. That is to say that at some time during the earths rotation you are not getting enough signal to your geographic area. See if XM has a sat coverage map showing your area. I am asuming tat the XM is in your truck and you are in the open enough to verify that your service is only interrupted at certain times through out the day dant that is the only constant.
    He's right, you are RIGHT on the edge of the sattelite footprint. Your signal is very weak and there's no way to get a better signal other than to move to the US... There are no "high gain" XM antennas that I know of.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage