GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default leaf spring question

I hoisted my New to me 99 Tahoe up to undercoat it yesterday and noticed that the 2nd leaf spring up from the bottom on the stack on both sides is snapped. How do I order a single leaf from a spring shop?Will I have to take it in or should they know the measurements?. It doesn't seem to affect the stance of the Tahoe any what will happen if left unattended to?
    :sign0011:
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bassalive View Post
    I hoisted my New to me 99 Tahoe up to undercoat it yesterday and noticed that the 2nd leaf spring up from the bottom on the stack on both sides is snapped. How do I order a single leaf from a spring shop?Will I have to take it in or should they know the measurements?. It doesn't seem to affect the stance of the Tahoe any what will happen if left unattended to?
    It will effect your tow/hauling GVW, tongue weight. The stance will start to sag and will have more bounce/free play. Do you have a spring shop? If so, they will be able to tell by Make/Model/Yr and
    Vin to see what extras you have. Right now your ok, its still cradled in the stack, but will need attending.

Jeff
    Last edited by JMoney02; 12-06-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: correction on posting.
    JMoney02

That spring is the load spring don't haul any thing. I also would replace both spring packs.

you can get a replacement spring from a shop or the junk yard or look at a 4x4 shop that might have a set from a lift kit install on the same type of truck...mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

I agree it will affect towing and hauling, what that more than likely came from is someone hauling more than what they should have with that tahoe. one of mine was broken too on the passenger side but mine had been in an accident and if not corrected when and if you do haul anything it will make your truck slide around a little on the road not to mention that the whole back end of your truck will push down toward the ground with even the slightest load. I put coil over load adjusting shocks on mine to help with the loads before finding the broken spring. Some will tellyou any used one should be a fine replacement, but I have never been one for putting anything used on any of my vehicles. Specially not anything that important. I would talk to a local spring shop if you have one , an RV equipment shop or the dealer. Might also check with JC whitney some times they have things like that pretty cheap.

Just got back from the spring shop. What a difference! the Tahoe has her stance back and she drives a whole lot better. I couldn't believe the difference. Thanks for all the advice.
    :sign0011:
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

glad to know that worked out well for you. thanks for posting the results on here so everyone could benefit from it.