GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Question Gauge bulb replacement

I have a 2001 Silverado, and am planning to replace the stock bulbs in my gauge cluster with blue leds. I took the cluster out today and saw that it would be easy enough to do - just swap the old 194 bulbs for LED equivalents. The one problem I encountered is trying to pull the old bulb out of the littler-twist in sockets that are used. If anyone who has done this mod could help me out with this, that would be awesome.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

im pretty sure the 194's just pull out. there probably just stuck a bit. if you just kind of "wiggle" them as you pull them out, they should come out.

i did the same mod to my 04, only i just wired them right in the circuit board in place of the stock ones. i dont have the 194's tho, mine were soldered in. check out this link, this is what it looks like all done. good luck!! http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12901

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado

Sweet truck! I was thinking of doing my climate controls too, but it wouldnt come apart and i didnt want to break it (expensive part). Thanks for the post, when i get my LED's I'll have to try to pry those damn stock lights out of their sockets. It's time for a change. I have one burnt out on the edge and didnt even notice it

Quote Originally Posted by identityPRS View Post
    im pretty sure the 194's just pull out. there probably just stuck a bit. if you just kind of "wiggle" them as you pull them out, they should come out.

i did the same mod to my 04, only i just wired them right in the circuit board in place of the stock ones. i dont have the 194's tho, mine were soldered in. check out this link, this is what it looks like all done. good luck!! http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12901
    Alright, I have been wanting to do this for awhile. What kind of bulb did you use to replace the soldered in bulbs?
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSilverado11 View Post
    Alright, I have been wanting to do this for awhile. What kind of bulb did you use to replace the soldered in bulbs?
    i just used 1 volt LED's that i got at my job. the only thing is, you have to take the cluster apart, get a volt meter and measure the voltage at the factory bulbs. (i think mine was like 7.2) so then you have to put the proper resistors on every bulb so the 7 volts doesnt blow the 1 volt LEDs. i used .495 ohm resistors. i have had them in there for about 8 months now and so far so good! i think there is somewhere around 200 in there all across the dash including the power window and power mirror controls on each door.

I got my gauges done tonight - only issue I had was that they put the bulb terminal wires sideways and soldered them to the contacts. easy to work around though. It looks great and I love it - doesn't look as good as Cody's though. Pics and how-to write-up to come later.

Kind of a hijack here, but does anyone with an OBS (mine is a '94) know if the buttons on the climate control unit are supposed to light up? My display lights up, but not the buttons.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Nope, display only, would look nicer if they did though......

Jeff
    JMoney02

Quote Originally Posted by pmf608 View Post
    I got my gauges done tonight - only issue I had was that they put the bulb terminal wires sideways and soldered them to the contacts. easy to work around though. It looks great and I love it - doesn't look as good as Cody's though. Pics and how-to write-up to come later.

congrats man! this is a cool and fun mod to do. not many people do it either. so WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!! good job. lets see some pics soon!

200 leds...?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by