GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Pulling the heater core

Well, my heater core's leaking. I have been trying to get the old one out today, with not much luck. I got to the box that the core's contained in, but I can't figure out how to get the box out to get the core out. I don't see any bolts to pull and in the engine compartment I can't see anything or any way to get it out. Any help is greatly appreciated
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Blog Entries

Try that repair manual thread I started. It ususally gives you a walk-through and photos/diagrams to follow.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Good luck with the repair. If you get a chance, would you mind taking some pics for those of us who might have to do this someday too?
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    Try that repair manual thread I started. It ususally gives you a walk-through and photos/diagrams to follow.
    Unfortunatley, they don't provide useful pictures. I can't find the mysterious bolts/nuts that everything is talking about...

Do the bolts/nuts go through the firewall and have to be disconnected inside the engine bay?

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

I believe they are in the engine bay, I also thought that they clipped to the inner firewall? Need to be at home to look it up as I can't remember, at work right now and won't be home until 9:00am, stay tuned.

Jeff
    JMoney02

I'd agree that they have to be in the engine bay. However, I can't really see where they'd be, and attempts to feel for them so far has not resulted in anything. I gave up yesterday when it started getting dark, but I'm going to give it another crack today after I get off of work. Jmoney, if you can get a camera in the area where the bolts are, I'd be most appreciative. I so want to get this done.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    I'd agree that they have to be in the engine bay. However, I can't really see where they'd be, and attempts to feel for them so far has not resulted in anything. I gave up yesterday when it started getting dark, but I'm going to give it another crack today after I get off of work. Jmoney, if you can get a camera in the area where the bolts are, I'd be most appreciative. I so want to get this done.
    We are talking about doing the the Heatcore on the 1991 Suburban right? I just want ot clarify from
    your post and the Bur you have listed? Bear with me on the Pixs, just learning more about the post area that the site has shown how and where, you know us old guys with all this Technology..

Jeff

the bolts are located on the firewall underneath/behind your A/C Condensor Can. you have to remove your resivour tank and there is 2. and then i think 1 more behind and down from the A/C Condensor
    *Lowered Expectations*
    ~President~
    1991 GMC Sierra SLE
    Reg.- Cab LWB 2wd
    ( ? Drop or Lift ? )

Craw..not quite clear on the question about getthing the "box out" that heater core is contained in..but usually the heater core cover is removed from inside the engine bay..there are small nuts on studs that go through the lip of the heater core/air conditioning evaporator cover as KamD says..behind your A/C canister and stuff.

Many times the nuts are small enough to be covered by silicone/calk sealant around the heater core cover, I know on my 89 with A/C it looked like the A/C evaporator and heater core were all behind one big mess of a cover.

but definitly comes out through engine bay...99% sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by