GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Please help!!!

Default Please help!!!

I have a 93 gmc suburban.. recently the drivers side front door was having problems locking. I had to close the door with my hip & now it wont completely close at all. I've tried liquid wrench and wd-40 thinking it was just stuck. i was told it was the lock or the pin that wont catch. is this something i can fix or do i have to but a new lock/door?????????/

Identify the problem. Open the door, and close the latching mechanism on the door and see if closes and locks.
    Check the pin on the door jamb and see if there is excessive wear on the pin.
    Open the door and see if you can move the door straight up and down with out moving the body. If you feel movement, you have bad hinges that need replacing or rebuilt.

1999 LS 2500 4x4
    7.4L Vortec

Default thank you for responding

1- latching mechanism on the door closes and locks.
    2-there is excessive wear on the pin on the door jamb.
    3-I do not feel movement

I just came in from auto zone the rep advised i buy a door hinge pin & bushing kit

cdvntx,
    I need to rettract my last note of #3
    there is slight movement and the upper hinge seems out of wack!!!!! Do I need to replace the entire hinge or just the pin?

Quote Originally Posted by 93 gmc View Post
    1- latching mechanism on the door closes and locks.
    2-there is excessive wear on the pin on the door jamb.
    3-I do feel movement

I just came in from auto zone the rep advised i buy a door hinge pin & bushing kit
    If there is movement, maybe you can get someone to move the door while you look at the hinge closely. If the two hinge parts are not moving on the door and jamb and you can see the slop at the hinge pin, then that's a start and I would replace it with a kit and you would not need to replace the whole hinge.

Default The power of the Iinternet

I thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bushings were rotted and the pin "did" need replacing... Now the door works like new, my only problem is now getting the spring back in.. Any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by 93 gmc View Post
    I thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The bushings were rotted and the pin "did" need replacing... Now the door works like new, my only problem is now getting the spring back in.. Any suggestions
    Sorry, I've never done it personally. Maybe someone else will come along who has...

There is a spring compressor tool for this or slide by a body shop and they'll pop it back in.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

I need to try this out on mine, I have the same problem with my driver front door. I have to slam the h*ll out of it to get it to latch all the way.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    I need to try this out on mine, I have the same problem with my driver front door. I have to slam the h*ll out of it to get it to latch all the way.
    Ditto! Maybe in the springtime when the weather warms up a bit.
    Apologies to the Minnesotans out there. I'm a bit of a weather wimp.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap