GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DIY Intake Tube?

I bought a cone style filter allegedly made by k&n. Can i just buy 3" pvc? If so... Should i put any bends or run a straight pvc? Should i paint it with anything and clear coat or just leave it black? Should i use some sort of heat shield?

Legend

Blog Entries

Hiya! Good questions! Have a look at this thread, this thread and this thread while you wait for folks to chime in. The first one, especially, you may find interesting.

I don't know why, but I have the feeling I read somewhere on this site that using PVC piping is not recommended because of the heat interacting with the plastics in PVC.... I'm sure someone will let us know for sure!

Good luck with your intake!
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Talking

bump

Anyone know if Pvc is ok to use?
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

PVC will hold heat more so than aluminum. Also, depending on your motor and where you run the piping, I've known PVC to melt in turbo applications as well as when placed in the proximity of the exhaust in the summer time. If you really want to, make sure that there are no shavings left when you cut to fit. Also, use some of the heat wrap (I've heard of people having success with the type that has aluminum on the outside) on it to protect it and keep the temps of the air from getting too high.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by ct9a View Post
    PVC will hold heat more so than aluminum. Also, depending on your motor and where you run the piping, I've known PVC to melt in turbo applications as well as when placed in the proximity of the exhaust in the summer time. If you really want to, make sure that there are no shavings left when you cut to fit. Also, use some of the heat wrap (I've heard of people having success with the type that has aluminum on the outside) on it to protect it and keep the temps of the air from getting too high.
    I agree. PVC in nature can be brittle when subjected to high hot and cold flucuations and it is not designed for that environment. I would pick up the K&N pipe set.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Blog Entries

just go to home depot and get some rubber pipe end caps and cut off the intake silencer and other little box right by the air filter and cap them off then put on your cone filter
    1998 GMC Sierra SLE- Bone stock engine, 4'' in dash dvd 2 10" subs 800watt amp.

1999 Buick Park avesdf

1971 Buick Electra 225 built 455 and turbo 400

poly vynil chloride (PVC-U) is the chemical makeup of the popular, easy-to-use tubing we all love, but in that lovely piece of pipe, is the element chlorine. when pvc is melted or burned, different elements vaporize into gasses. One of which is chlorine. When it turns to a gas, it becomes chlorine gas... who would've thunk it. most everyone knows that chlorine gas is extremely toxic, and often results in death when inhaled. to make a long story short, unless you realy want to get realy sick and possibly die, dont use pvc under the hood
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    poly vynil chloride (PVC-U) is the chemical makeup of the popular, easy-to-use tubing we all love, but in that lovely piece of pipe, is the element chlorine. when pvc is melted or burned, different elements vaporize into gasses. One of which is chlorine. When it turns to a gas, it becomes chlorine gas... who would've thunk it. most everyone knows that chlorine gas is extremely toxic, and often results in death when inhaled. to make a long story short, unless you realy want to get realy sick and possibly die, dont use pvc under the hood
    Wow, good info. I didn't know that.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Yay, chemistry! Good pull Sir! It can be quite fun when you learn certain characteristics and can make your own little experiments! I busted a 250 mL Erlenmeyer flask in my chem lab last year adding too much potassium to observe the reaction. Of course, the flask was really old and has seen its day but it finally met its maker! haha
    ANDREW
    2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
    -Dual exhaust
    -K&N Cold Air Intake
    -8000K HID Headlights

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerSilverado11 View Post
    Yay, chemistry! Good pull Sir! It can be quite fun when you learn certain characteristics and can make your own little experiments! I busted a 250 mL Erlenmeyer flask in my chem lab last year adding too much potassium to observe the reaction. Of course, the flask was really old and has seen its day but it finally met its maker! haha

lol. . . i want some potassium, but no one will give me any francium would be fine too. i like big booms
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast