GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default Speaker size for 1996 Suburban?

Hey folks I tried a search, came up blank,,, What size speakers should I order for my Burb? Crutchfield says 5.25 for direct fit 6.5 modified fit. Whats the deal, anyone have any advise?

Also when replaceing the head unit what do you do with the CD player?

Thanks,
    Tom

the 5 1/4 speakers will fit directly into the oem location. If you wanted larger speakers you may have to cut the hole bigger so that the speaker will fit in or ad a spacer so that the larger speaker will fit. I would suggest going with the oem size speaker will eliminate alot of head ache. As for the CD play im guessing that your talking about multi disk. You can put them right under the passenger side seat or in the rear of the burb.

Legend

I assume you mean the cd player that is seperate from the tape deck, there is a small harness that connects the two together. Leave the wire in the dash and just tuck it behind the new deck, as for the cd player you can go on ebay and find the little cubby box that would replace it so you have a small storage hole there instead, and yes what crutchfield says is right, the modified means no cutting just making a plate to attach to the door then to drop the speaker into, I have 6 1/2 in my 4x10 holes in the rear, no cutting at all
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Mechanic

I just replace mine with 5 1/4 speakers. I also replaced my Head Unit and just left the stand alone cd player sitting there. I heard there is a DVD that size that will fit there. I could be wrong.
    1997 GMC Suburban
    22 inch Ice Metal Rims
    170k and still truckin'

Jr. Apprentice

has anyone built a box to replace the center counsel? I see that MTX makes a direct replacement with a sub built in....kind of pricey like $250 on ebay. I have a 10" sub and an amp layin around may give it a whirl and see what I can come up with.

Sr. Apprentice

Thanks everyone,, I have replaced the head unit with a Pioneer DEH 7900, and replaced the rear door speakers with Kappa 6.5 coax, and have componets for the front. I have bypassed the amp under the seat for now, I have a Pioneer PRS 4200 and a Aluma-pro 15f CAP. I need the time and weather to finish the install. Haven't decided on a sub yet,, probably going to use a JL.

Tom
    1996 K1500 SLE Suburban, used but paid for:great:

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by THier View Post
    Thanks everyone,, I have replaced the head unit with a Pioneer DEH 7900, and replaced the rear door speakers with Kappa 6.5 coax, and have componets for the front. I have bypassed the amp under the seat for now, I have a Pioneer PRS 4200 and a Aluma-pro 15f CAP. I need the time and weather to finish the install. Haven't decided on a sub yet,, probably going to use a JL.

Tom
    What is the RMS wattage of your system right now? JL Audio makes good speakers. They just made some new W)'s for 09.