GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default catalytic converter

my service engine light keeps kicking on saying that my cats are goin bad, or are already there. at first it was one code, but a few weeks after that came a second along with the first. i cant remember the codes, but if i have it scanned again, i will post them. i know i need to replace them, and intend on doing so, but i am not going to cut and weld, i am going to go the direct fit path. what are some suggestions to get the most performance out of this investment. i need to know stories of success, failure, pleased and displeased, expensive vs. not as expensive, brands, product variations, etc.

thanks for your input
    Last edited by cascott325; 12-14-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Thermal (something, memory fails me now) is what I have on mine and I love it. I've also used their products in the past on my other cars.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Here's a bunch of high-flow cats to consider: http://gravanatuning.com/805/19/70/0...d_5.3_2WD.html
    2009 Sierra 1500 SLE Ext Cab 4x4 5.3L 3.73 gears Steel Gray
    20" Liquidmetal Magmas
    275/55/20 CooperZeons
    Gibson catback
    Diablo Sport tuner
    ReadyLift 2.25" leveling kit
    Volant CAI
    Bed Rug
    Billet grille

2004 Pontiac GTO - Long Tube Headers,CAI, Magnaflow catback, Comp custom grind cam, Pedders Suspension, GMM race shifter - 392 whp

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    my service engine light keeps kicking on saying that my cats are goin bad, or are already there. at first it was one code, but a few weeks after that came a second along with the first. i cant remember the codes, but if i have it scanned again, i will post them. i know i need to replace them, and intend on doing so, but i am not going to cut and weld, i am going to go the direct fit path. what are some suggestions to get the most performance out of this investment. i need to know stories of success, failure, pleased and displeased, expensive vs. not as expensive, brands, product variations, etc.

thanks for your input
    It really depends on what your goals are. You didn't post what kind of vehicle you have. You might want to update your signature so others can provide accurate responses.

I made the mistake once of assuming that everyone likes what I like so when a friend asked me to get a new muffler system installed on his ride I took it to my favorite muffler shop and had them install a dual exhaust with turbo mufflers. It sounded so sweet (to me). Unfortunate for me, my friend is a classical music buff and he hated it. I felt obliged to spend the money out of pocket to have the performance exhaust removed in favor of the more quiet factory system.

For my 93 burb I went with a 3" catback system using a Magnaflow and a stock cat. Sounds good to me and the top end performance feels better.

So for performance go with the high flow cats and dual exhaust.
    For compromise, try a cat back system.
    For a more tame sound stick with the factory specs.

As always check your local emissions regs if you want to maintain the resale value.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

i have a 2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 8.5 mil wires, factory cats, flowmaster 40 series muffler(1 in 2 out) w/ 16 inch stainless silverline tips. i think my tubing is 2.5" but i havent measured, so im not sure. i have a k&n air CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 117k miles
    Last edited by cascott325; 12-15-2008 at 05:27 PM.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    Chris

just bringin it back to the top.
    Chris

anyone have any ideas for me? i could really use the help.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    anyone have any ideas for me? i could really use the help.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh did you not see post #3?
    20" Liquidmetal Magmas
    275/55/20 CooperZeons
    Gibson catback
    Diablo Sport tuner
    Volant CAI
    Bed Rug
    Billet grille

2004 Pontiac GTO - Long Tube Headers,CAI, Magnaflow catback, Comp custom grind cam, Pedders Suspension, GMM race shifter - 392 whp

Quote Originally Posted by _BT_ View Post
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh did you not see post #3?
    lol. yes i did, but i like to hear alot of opinions. i did check out the page, and im liking whit i see. thanks
    Chris

Here's my opinion: stay away from Random Technology cats. Their ceramic cores tend to come apart and rattle like crazy. It happened to me. I'm running Pacesetter cats in my GTO now and havent had any problems.
    20" Liquidmetal Magmas
    275/55/20 CooperZeons
    Gibson catback
    Diablo Sport tuner
    Volant CAI
    Bed Rug
    Billet grille

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast