GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Won't idle?

Default Won't idle?

Help me please?

I have a 2002 Silverado Ex. Cab Z 71 with 19,200 miles on it. Obviously, I don't drive it a lot.
    Saturday, I started the truck in my garage and put it in gear. The engine started and immediately quit.

I started it several times and it would start right up, but would not idle, either in gear or in neutral.

If I accellerated, it would run and drive, but it would die if I took my foot off the gas.

Also, I noticed that when I filled it up with gas, the mpg had deteriorated from 15-17 to 12-13.

While trying to determine where to go to get this checked, I decided to replace the fuel filter, even though the current filter had been put on 3000 miles ago.

Surprise! I started the truck to get it outside to work on it and the thing ran fine.

I went ahead and changed the fuel filter, but I am worried that this will happen again.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any insight into this problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jr. Apprentice

Hey man, Well I'm glad it worked for you. Heres my theory. Ok, I had a chevy pickup, I built the 350, and only used the truck for weekends. Well once I got married, the truck sat for quite a while. And with such low miles on your truck, maybe this is the same situation; you let it sit for a while. I'm a junior mechanic, but I have seen several occasions to where when a vechicle sits for a period of time, first the fuel filter might gunk up, and eventually the fuel pump going out. I advise tryin to get in it and take it around the block at least once or twice a week. Hope this helps buddy. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mec.1987 View Post
    Hey man, Well I'm glad it worked for you. Heres my theory. Ok, I had a chevy pickup, I built the 350, and only used the truck for weekends. Well once I got married, the truck sat for quite a while. And with such low miles on your truck, maybe this is the same situation; you let it sit for a while. I'm a junior mechanic, but I have seen several occasions to where when a vechicle sits for a period of time, first the fuel filter might gunk up, and eventually the fuel pump going out. I advise tryin to get in it and take it around the block at least once or twice a week. Hope this helps buddy. Mike

I agree!
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses: