GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legend

Default help..help..help.. Plymouth Breeze won't start in cold weather

Help me out fellas!!(and ladies) My wifes 99 plymouth breeze doesnt want to start in the cold weather when it drops below zero, it did this last year and we replaced a lot of stuff over the summer and thought it would have cured it. So this morning it was below zero, about -30 with the wind, her car sits in the garage, and it started just fine with only a 1/4 tank of gas full, so she left for work filled it up and drove the 25 miles to work no problems, it sits where the wind cant get into it but it stayed pretty cold all day and after work it would not start. It turns but it wont catch so we tryed jumping it no luck, went and got some starter fluid and no luck it NEVER has this problem unless its really cold can anyone help. My local mechanic that I regularly use said that it could flood in the cold temps as the regulator could not function right possibly and flood it????? I need help fast, can anyone give me some insight???
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

maybe try placing a reddy heater pointed to the engine of the car to warm it up , but no too close so that it wont melt anything. just a thought
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Give a list of what you have replaced already and we can go from there. There are a lot of parts that tend to be cold sensitive (especially that cold).
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Legend

full tune up with new valve cover gasket-pcv valve-new timing belt-water pump-altornator-a/c compressor-thermostat and hoses. What baffles me is we NEVER have any problem with it in the summer and the mileage is great, fuel regulator???
    285/75/16

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Do you smell fuel(a lot) when it cranks, to backup the statement of Flooded? Sound to me like frozen fuel line freeze up. (Boron - you go or we pay the tow, remember this)? Caue even with starting fluid it needs fuel to catch and start. These cars hate the cold, they have had problems with freezing when it get sub zero temps, bet if you thaw it out it will start, even at 20 degrees.....Do you have BP stations, they have the fuel additive to help with freezing.....

Jeff
    JMoney02

Legend

we did all the fuel additives last year and kept it above 1/2 a tank and it still did it when it got really cold
    285/75/16

don't they make a fuel system antifreeze for Gas???? of so I think it's time to invest. Don't suppose there's anywhere to plug in a "block heater" at her work huh? :o) prolly wouldn't help any way depending on where the regulator is , but it could just be cheaper gas Might possibly have a hint of condensation or water in the lines that's freezing everything up, if i remember they make something that keeps the gas from freezing and dries out the water in the tank too.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daddytech View Post
    don't they make a fuel system antifreeze for Gas???? of so I think it's time to invest. Don't suppose there's anywhere to plug in a "block heater" at her work huh? :o) prolly wouldn't help any way depending on where the regulator is , but it could just be cheaper gas Might possibly have a hint of condensation or water in the lines that's freezing everything up, if i remember they make something that keeps the gas from freezing and dries out the water in the tank too.
    Yep, there is a product on the shelf, don't remember the name, but has Alcohol and some other additives for extreme winter months, use it every third tankfull if I remember correctly. Had the stuff in Ohio's auto stores. Napa, I think was the better supplier....It is freezing up.....

Jeff
    JMoney02

Legend

well t give evveryone an update its the regulator the car was flooding itself with the extreme cold it got the regulator to just dump in fuel
    285/75/16

Glad you got it figured out!
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast