GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 Last Post byLast Post by

It's the amount of power surging through the cord. The first cord couldn't handle the load. I'm happy I could help solve your prob. Cheers
    :sign0011:
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

Blog Entries

I agree that when it is too cold and you are not using the block heater the diesel sounds horrible at high idle but the two together can't be beat! I know this is mild to some of you but it was only 13 degrees here in Washington State when I went to work this morning so I was pleased when my truck was nice and warm after 10 minutes.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

quick electrical info bit. the longer cord you have, the harder your circuit is going to work to get the power needed to its user so stay as short as possible, dont use a 100' cord if you are 15' away from an outlet, try a 25'. also, dont just go out and buy any old cord. most cords at a convenience store, smaller walmarts and chain stores will carry cords that have 14 guage wire in them which is ok for say christmas lights or a floor fan, but it cant carry sufficient voltage for longer distances due to the voltage drop. look on the label at the store or ask an employee to help you find a cord that has 12 guage wire. it will be labeled 12/3 somewhere. they can handel the draw from heaters and air conditioners alot better than 14. if you really want to go the extra distance, use a 10/3 cord. that is your best bet. the bigger the wire, the more voltage it can sustain for longer distances however, you also dont want to overload your circuit. try to find a circuit that has the fewest users. another good thing to do is label your panel box. turn off one circuit at a time and try to find it. you may not find every one but at least you will know what circuit feeds what outlets. you can get plug testers at lowes for like 5 bucks
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    FYI for our southern friends... I believe Erica is talking about the block heater's wall outlet plug..
    I have seen those before and never knew what they were
    So what is their pourpose? To warm the block when its really cold? ..
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

I haven't tried out the block heater on mine yet but probably should. If you are tripping circuits then there is an overcurrent draw or maybe you have a short on your truck. That would be covered under the warranty.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    I have seen those before and never knew what they were
    So what is their pourpose? To warm the block when its really cold? ..

Yep! Kinda neat to see cars driving everywhere with a three-prong wall plug sticking out their front grill...
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Yep! Kinda neat to see cars driving everywhere with a three-prong wall plug sticking out their front grill...
    umm we dont have em down here

Ah, ok. I really never knew there were differences in cords. My mother-in-law told me that but I ignored her.....oops!

That makes sense because the one I was trying to use was I think a Christmas light cord. Wow, do I feel dumb.

On a better note, my truck sure loves being plugged in. Dwill's right, with the plug in & elevated idle it's amazing.

Dwill, I meant my truck sounded worse the other morning compared to some.....not being in the elevated idle & that's why I started to use the plug. But when I plugged it in today, it sounded great & didn't whine. I don't like when my baby whines.

Thank you for everyones help!
    I love my new 2005 Silverado 2500HD LT and...............

My next vehicle will be a 2006 Duramax Hummer H1 wagon :love:

I like the Christmas cord idea. Does the plug work now. I wold think that there is a fuse in the light cord that migt be blown now.

No, it works fine. It's an extension cord for Christmas lights I guess.....I got it in the Christmas section & it's green.

Haha, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Good night!