GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

the breaker you are talking about it tripping..... would that "breaker" happen to be on the wall plug or in the breaker panel for your house? If it's the one on the outlet it's self, that is a GFI switch that keeps you from over loading it and if you had something else on that circuit like your hot water heater for your home, or your Heater or something of that nature then that could be what was tripping the breaker not the cord. even if it is the switch in your electric panel in your house there could still be something on that same circuit that when it's running your block heater will trip the breaker possibly. Glad you finally got it working but if it worked with a different cord and nothing else tripped then maybe you found your majic combination.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    umm we dont have em down here
    it's a northern thing, southerners wouldn't understand.... yeah I lived in the south most of my life but I have family up in PA and Ohio so I've been around them , in fact I have seen them on cars that those are all that actually worked on the car and wasn't rusted to pieces. (another Northern thing I am glad we don't experience)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    quick electrical info bit. the longer cord you have, the harder your circuit is going to work to get the power needed to its user so stay as short as possible, dont use a 100' cord if you are 15' away from an outlet, try a 25'. also, dont just go out and buy any old cord. most cords at a convenience store, smaller walmarts and chain stores will carry cords that have 14 guage wire in them which is ok for say christmas lights or a floor fan, but it cant carry sufficient voltage for longer distances due to the voltage drop. look on the label at the store or ask an employee to help you find a cord that has 12 guage wire. it will be labeled 12/3 somewhere. they can handel the draw from heaters and air conditioners alot better than 14. if you really want to go the extra distance, use a 10/3 cord. that is your best bet. the bigger the wire, the more voltage it can sustain for longer distances however, you also dont want to overload your circuit. try to find a circuit that has the fewest users. another good thing to do is label your panel box. turn off one circuit at a time and try to find it. you may not find every one but at least you will know what circuit feeds what outlets. you can get plug testers at lowes for like 5 bucks

To add on to Cascott post, The block heater is really very close to a direct short it needs to be in order to generate heat. It usually has very little resistance. Most block heaters range from 750 watts to 1500 watts, Depending on make and year. ( divide the wattage by the voltage to get the current draw, 1500w / 120v =12.5 Amps) So running on a dedicated circuit on your house is the smartest way to go. If you have an outside outlet on the house it should be a 20Amp circuit and rarely has more than one thing plugged in at a time. Kitchen and dining room outlets by most state codes are 20 Amp also. these would be the best ones to connect up to in the house. I also recommend getting a contractor grade outdoor use extension cord. It will cost more but you will never have to replace it.
    BRYAN

"IF YOU DON'T TREAT IT LIKE A TRUCK IT'S JUST A REALLY BIG CAR"

02' Avalanche 2500 Onyx Black
    8.1L Vortec
    43,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bry2500 View Post
    I also recommend getting a contractor grade outdoor use extension cord. It will cost more but you will never have to replace it.
    Good Idea but add one thing to it... a cold weather Cord. Makes a big difference in longevity in the cold.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(dy...?SKU=998023592

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(dy...px?SKU=3237237

I bought this one when I got to Alaska… the cord I brought up from the lower 48 cracked when I unplugged it one morning. Went to the store and picked this one and no problems and its much easier to coil up when its cold.
    http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(dy...px?SKU=3237229
    Josh

"Do what you can, With what you have, Where you are." TR.

2007 Chevy 2500 6.6 LMM
    1998 HUMMER- sold
    1998 F150- sold

I've used block heaters,cab warmers, heaters pointed at the block you name it here in Eskimo land, and on a different subject extension cords plugged into phone booths borrowing power to charge my bass boat batteries while on the road. The thing is using a heavy duty cord larger than normal in diameter that is. I've never had a prob with juice. You can only expect so much from a Christmas tree cord!
    Last edited by bassalive; 12-17-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: drunk
    :sign0011:
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

One more question.......

The block heater cord is not long enough to come out the grill & it's annoying because I have to pop the hood every time I want to plug it in. It's really not that big of a deal but it would be nicer if I didn't have to do that.

Could I get an extension to make it a bit longer? It's like 1" to short.

bassalive, I know.....dumb but I truly didn't know it about the whole cord thing. Lesson learned!
    Last edited by onelove; 12-17-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    I love my new 2005 Silverado 2500HD LT and...............

My next vehicle will be a 2006 Duramax Hummer H1 wagon :love:

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    One more question.......

The block heater cord is not long enough to come out the grill & it's annoying because I have to pop the hood every time I want to plug it in. It's really not that big of a deal but it would be nicer if I didn't have to do that.

bassalive, I know.....dumb but I truly didn't know it about the whole cord thing. Lesson learned!
    Your not dumb onelove u just didn't know. Sure u can get a extension at any hardware store, if it's too long after zip tying it to ur grill take up the slack and ziptie it out of the way somewhere behind the headlights. Just make sure u get an extension similier to the guage (thick ness) of your existing cord.
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bassalive View Post
    You can only expect so much from a Christmas tree cord!

House fires... i never use the things.

i have green heavy duty cords for the silly season.
    Josh

2007 Chevy 2500 6.6 LMM
    1998 HUMMER- sold
    1998 F150- sold

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    One more question.......

the way i set my truck up...
    I have a 25 foot cord bundled inside a bag inside the engine compartment, that pulggs into the block heater cord (my cord was just a few inches too short to get to the grill too) and the male end is hanging out of the grill. I use my house side cord to plug into the truck so i dont have to pull the cord out of the truck every time, the extra in the truck is for when i am away from home and need to plug in some where else.
    Josh

2007 Chevy 2500 6.6 LMM
    1998 HUMMER- sold
    1998 F150- sold

Or do that.he he he he.
    Troy
    New Brunswick, Canada

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast