GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default need help on fog lights

i was wanting to install fog lights on my truck after 4 years.i have a 2004 lt 4x4.i bought the truck used with about 8000 miles on it.i just relized i have a fog light button on the dash.i installed a relay under the hood and low and behold the fogs light up on the dash,but i do not have fog lights on the truck.now i relize alot of trucks are prewired for alot of the bells and whistles,but i dont belive it would already have a fog light button or it being wired to the relay box.what im thinking is the truck came with fog lights and the previous owner removed them and installed tow hooks instead.im am wanting to know where my wiring to the fogs would be.what is the facory routing for the the wiring from the fogs to the relay panel.hope all this makes since,thanks db

If you can get a wiring diagram for your truck. That'll help big time in aiding in the location for the factory wiring

Here's a link to the wiring diagram click here for a pdf file.
    Are we having fun, yet?

Can you send us a picture of the front end. That will helps us understand if tow hooks were swapped for the fogs.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

ill get one in the morning.its neg 8 with the wind chill right now

Most vehicles have a standard wire harness, all option wire connectors are ther just not being used, what this means to you is that the wiring for Fog lights is possibly there.
    But they dont usually include switch's, that gets a block off plate most times.
    I kinda suspect the PO removed the lights as you surmise for another vehicle (or they were stolen at some time). Unfortunately the easiest way to disconnect the lights for reuse would be to cut the wires before the plug, that would leave a couple of bare wires under the front end. The fog light wires will be in the forward radiator support wire harness and a pain in the neck to replace in the harness.
    Since you already have a switch and relay wired and in place it would be easiest for you to just run new wires and lights, dont even mess with the wire harness beyond the relay.