GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default no power to push button 4wd

i have a 2006 silverado vortec max. while driving all power to 4wd push buttons would go away. stop annd turn truck off and turn back on. power would come back on. now have no power. checked all plugs and fuses to be ok. any and all response will be helpfull. thank you and merry christmas...

Legend

Blog Entries

My first instinct will always be the push button unit itself. I would invest in a salvage yard switch module to diagnose the problem. At least you'll know if it's the module or something else. I just replaced mine and the replacement was $10.

Good luck
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Springthing is right, switches for these are some what crude and usually go bad first, same for the power locks and windows. replace these first to eliminate them and use the salvage yard as they are a dime to a dozen and quite a few models will fit your and a lot cheaper also.....

Jeff
    JMoney02

i tried the pulling of fuse and reinstalling and disconnecting battery(read another forum). tried another transfer case dash switch. still do not have electricy to switch. did not fix problem. does anyone have anyother ideas. thanks....
    Last edited by dcjones13; 01-08-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: clearifcation

Legend

Blog Entries

Does it still go into 4WD when you push the buttons (only the lights that are not working) or does the control module not work at all - no lights, doesn't go into 4wd?

does not go into 4wd (no clicks or anyother sounds) and no lights or power. do have lights when i turn key on but goes right off when everything comes on, ie: gauges, stereo, etc...

Legend

try and look under the dash and follow the wires from the control module and see if they are rubbing on something to wear at the wire insulation and the switch has grounded out
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    try and look under the dash and follow the wires from the control module and see if they are rubbing on something to wear at the wire insulation and the switch has grounded out
    I believe that there is also a small set(wires) that go to the transfer case for the signal to switch, check that also, you have power loss from the key to the switch function...

Jeff
    Last edited by JMoney02; 01-09-2009 at 10:14 PM.

checked all wiring and plug connections to be ok. any other ideas? thanx....
    also have power to fuse and switch, just no lights or action(when buttons pushed).
    Last edited by dcjones13; 01-09-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: clarification

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Where is the bulb in this switch and where is the ground wire go to from back of the panel? It should connect to other set of light displays for something else? Is other light features not functioning as well?
    Still sounds as though you have no power going to that perticular switch. Check 4wd relays, it does have them I believe????

Jeff