GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 75,000 plus miles?

Well first of all I would like to introduce my self. My name is Kyle. I'm from a smaller town called Shorewood. We are right next to Joliet IL if you know where that is, most do because of Stateville (the prison). Right now I have an 04 Colorado that I am looking to trade for a Silverado, but I have a few questions.

The truck I am looking at is an 01 half ton with a 3 inch susp. lift with wheels and tires, exhaust all the bolt on goodies.

Anyway I'm just about to turn 18 next month and my dad is a little concerned with the truck because it has 97,XXX on the clock. I'm not too concerned about the mileage but he seems to be, and I respect his concern because he owns an auto salvage and has been dealing with cars for a long time.

Well to get to the point, at what point did you guys start having problems with your trucks or have you not had anything major at all?

We also own nothing but GM vehicles except for a Ford work truck.

We have a 95 Yukon with 91,XXX on it and no major problems, my dad has a 01 Sierra 3500 dually with 26,XXX on it and no problems on either of them, and I haven't had any problems with my Colorado at all but that only has 30,XXX on it.

I test drove the truck today and it's awesome, I really hope everything works out that I will be able to get it.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Welcome to the site! FWIW, my truck has over 200k on the original motor and it's still running strong, but mine is a 5.7L TBI, I'm sure your '01 isn't. I'm sure someone that will know better will chime in. I don't think anything less than 150k is risky at all.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Yeah, this has the 5.3.

thanks for your reply.

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

Andersonn,

Welcome.

You have a HUGE advantage over most folks who hunt for a used vehicle.Your dad is obviously vehicle savvy .
    Make sure you have him at least eyeball the vehicle and the owner before you put out $$.

I would sure be tempted to let him do the bargaining -$$$- when it comes to it. If you want to "do it yourself" and he is game to let you fly free and make sure you get his advice on price.

I'm not so big on "letting my son make his own mistakes to learn" but some folks are. I figure that an equally important part of learning is learning to take good advice. Hey, that is what makes us the number one animal on the planet-we pass on learning so we all don't have to reinvent the wheel every generation.

Now that the psycho babble is taken care of.

1)Take your dad with you if at all possible.
    2)If you don't want your dad to do the bargaining at least have him there so the seller knows he isn't going to be able to take advantage of an inexperienced buyer.
    3) Get your dad's idea on the max you should pay-stick pretty close to it. Your dad is in the business of buying low and selling higher,so exceeding his max by a few percent is probably still a good price.

4) MOST IMPORTANT- THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER GOOD DEAL COMING ALONG. Yeah, at the time you always think,"this is such a good deal,I'll never find another one as good". But, there will always be another-as good or better-just be patient.

On the truck-even with low gas, 1/2 tons still haven't made a big comeback. My guess is that your 2004 Colorado (4 or 5 cylinder?) is worth more than a 100,000 mile Sierra. Aftermarket add ons actually don't increase the value of a vehicle. They really limit the number of folks who will buy it-especially the lift, which can increase the likely hood of something in the driveline breaking since it changes the angle(I think you are supposed to shim the rear end/differential in some way). The aftermarket exhaust will be noisier-older folks don't like that. Aftermarket stuff also might indicate that the truck is driven hard by a risk taking younger guy- oldsters see that as a negative.

100,000 miles is a fair number of miles. I got lucky- 1.5 years ago bought a 195,000 98 Suburban, now at 208,000 miles it still runs great. It has had lots of expensive maintenance - by PO($2000 ac and intake gasket, $2000 trans rebuild) and some parts replacing-radiator $155, brake booster $135, Waterpump $60, belt tensioner $40 ,$210 Bilstein shocks kinda optional).
    The transmission is probably the most likely " expensive" repair you might eventually expect.Other than miles and how he maintained it, and how much he towed there really isn't any way to guess 'when".Best guess is the trans on average die about 125,000 miles.On the bright side, you should be able to get a good used one at a deep discount from YOUR salvage yard.

Have fun-Merry Christmas.Ignore my overly negative stuff-just lean on your dad-take his advice.Have him size up the truck and the owner.
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

Merry Christmas and welcome to GMTC. I agree with all the good advice above and might add to look real good at the suspension and under carriage, due to the fact it has already been lifted and has a few mods. Good luck and have fun!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Jr. Mechanic

The miles are really not a big deal.The fact the truck has been lifted is. Who knows hard its been ran, was it used off road, road hard and put away wet. A truck like that is a hard sell for older guys like myself, kids will be most likely be the only ones to buy it. I do not think you said how much it is either. If you want one lifted buy one thats not and do it yourself so you know what you have.

Thanks for the help guys. That has really helped.

I think I'm going to pass on this one, maybe not. I went to go look at it yesterday with a buddy and I'm going with my dad on Saturday to look again. I did look under it and it looks great. I would like to find out who owned it before and their age group and what not.

They want just under 12 for it, but I went in there and they said they would only give me 8 for mine, I got them to go up 1K on my truck and down 1,500 on the Silverado just by my self. Hopefully if the truck checks out with my dad he can get them to go lower.

My truck is the 3.5L (5 Cyl).

The good thing about owning the salvage yard is I get free parts but I still owe money on my Colorado and then gas, insurance and whatever other maintence work that needs to be done on the truck or repair costs on labor for stuff that I can't do my self.

Here is a link to the truck.

http://www.billjacobsinventory.com/2...00--c-1648.htm

I would much rather wait for a different truck to present it self to me rather than being burned on this truck and having problems with it.

i went through all the posts and don't know if you are looking into a 4x4 or not and what year.

1. $$ first. craigslist is the best source for used vehicles, esp now. save cash and buy cash. no loans, no interest and CASH TALKS. i bought my 2000 LT CENTURION edition (ever saw one?), Z71, extended cab, with anything possible oprtions wise for the year in it, 4x4, 58K miles, for $9800. cash, of course. he asked $11K.

2. at 60K miles, spark plugs and wires must be changed; transfer case and both differential fluids must be changed. transmission must have been drained and refilled at least twice. that's the bottom line. if it was not done, and seek proof, sellers are tellers - you'll have trouble down the road. i have not even mentioned small stuff like air filter.
    DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK. IF IT'S BROK - FIX RIGHT AWAY.
    WONNA THINGS DONE RIGHT, DO THEM YOURSELF

2000 SILVERADO, CENTURION EDITION, 4WD, Z71, 5.3 VORTEC
    NO DUMM MODS

Quote Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
    i went through all the posts and don't know if you are looking into a 4x4 or not and what year.

1. $$ first. craigslist is the best source for used vehicles, esp now. save cash and buy cash. no loans, no interest and CASH TALKS. i bought my 2000 LT CENTURION edition (ever saw one?), Z71, extended cab, with anything possible oprtions wise for the year in it, 4x4, 58K miles, for $9800. cash, of course. he asked $11K.

2. at 60K miles, spark plugs and wires must be changed; transfer case and both differential fluids must be changed. transmission must have been drained and refilled at least twice. that's the bottom line. if it was not done, and seek proof, sellers are tellers - you'll have trouble down the road. i have not even mentioned small stuff like air filter.

In my first post it I said it was on 01. It is a 4X4, I don't think I mentioned that.

Thanks for your opinion and help.

Wink

I take really good care of my baby...hope to get at least 200,000 miles out of her...
    2007 Silverado Classic
    ~~~~HD 2500~~~~

4x2
    4.10 w/Locker
    Hummer H2 17"
    Toyo 265x70x17 Open Country A/Ts
    Flowmaster BB 50 Series
    Black Bear Performance Tune
    -----------------------------------
    2005 Pilgrim 5th Wheel RV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast