GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Exclamation New here looking for opinions.

Hey Im new here and am really wanting to purchase my first Truck, I currently own a 1997 Lexus Sc300 but have always had a love for lifted trucks and it seems time to move on.

I was wondering how dependable and good the 05 Silverado are and Will defiantly need help in deciding the truck for me.

An 05 Silverado could be a great truck, depending on how the PO treated it.
    Keep in mind your coming from a Lexus, these vehicles ride and drive smooth, while the Silverado is a good riding/driving vehicle it wont be like the Lexus you presently own. And if you do choose to lift or alter the suspension the ride will change even more.
    This isnt meant to scare you away from buying a truck, it's meant to warn you ahead of time.

Welcome to GMTC and Merry Christmas! I drive a '04 Z71 crew cab w/112000 miles (just getting broken in). If you find a '05 that is clean and runs good, it should be worth checking into. If you don't feel comfortable checking out the pick up, maybe a friend who is familiar could go over it with you. You can use the "Search" section to look for common problems. The main one being the intermediate steering shaft, which GM has a replacement (I've just gotten used to the knocking when turning). Good luck with your search!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    An 05 Silverado could be a great truck, depending on how the PO treated it.
    Keep in mind your coming from a Lexus, these vehicles ride and drive smooth, while the Silverado is a good riding/driving vehicle it wont be like the Lexus you presently own. And if you do choose to lift or alter the suspension the ride will change even more.
    This isnt meant to scare you away from buying a truck, it's meant to warn you ahead of time.
    Yea I know all this, just some thoughts sense I highly doubt that I will find the exact truck I want around here locally or even online, how much and how difficult will it be to get about a 6" suspension lift with rims and tires?

well, you asked for opinion, and opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one.
    there are no dependable and reliable GMC trucks. they all have problems, it's a known fact. you can check them out on any major automotive website and it's all the same. midgrade quality.
    of course, you have your mind set on a lifted truck, so why even ask for opinion? don't do it, but who am i to tell?
    friendly advice: get a third gen Toyota Tacoma extended cab, TRD. i am a large 6'5'' guy, very broad shoulders - and i am most comfortable in it. you will have most adequate power and hauling/towing, as it is almost as big as Silverado. there is no comperison between the two, though, reliability wise.
    i am ready to take beating for this, but you can bash me all you want - facts are hard to bash.:na:
    oh, yeah - i am well aware they "cost more". 2 things to mention: 1. they teach it in the 2nd grade - you always get what you paid for; 2. what's the point to have something with more blows and wistles for less, if half of it does not work in about 30K miles and it slowly turns into a money pit?
    DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK. IF IT'S BROK - FIX RIGHT AWAY.
    WONNA THINGS DONE RIGHT, DO THEM YOURSELF

2000 SILVERADO, CENTURION EDITION, 4WD, Z71, 5.3 VORTEC
    NO DUMM MODS

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site! I have not heard anything bad about the 05's.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
    well, you asked for opinion, and opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one.
    there are no dependable and reliable GMC trucks. they all have problems, it's a known fact. you can check them out on any major automotive website and it's all the same. midgrade quality.
    of course, you have your mind set on a lifted truck, so why even ask for opinion? don't do it, but who am i to tell?
    friendly advice: get a third gen Toyota Tacoma extended cab, TRD. i am a large 6'5'' guy, very broad shoulders - and i am most comfortable in it. you will have most adequate power and hauling/towing, as it is almost as big as Silverado. there is no comperison between the two, though, reliability wise.
    i am ready to take beating for this, but you can bash me all you want - facts are hard to bash.:na:
    oh, yeah - i am well aware they "cost more". 2 things to mention: 1. they teach it in the 2nd grade - you always get what you paid for; 2. what's the point to have something with more blows and wistles for less, if half of it does not work in about 30K miles and it slowly turns into a money pit?
    I beg to differ with you on this. I have no problems with my GM. Any vehicle you buy can and will have problems at some point. Consumer Reports put the truck I have at the top of the recomended list. Toyota trucks have not really proven themselves in the mid range 1/2 ton truck. They have a capable motor but the transmission / rear end is not quite up to the task of heavy hauling. Having said that, good luck with the '05 lex.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    I beg to differ with you on this. I have no problems with my GM. Any vehicle you buy can and will have problems at some point. Consumer Reports put the truck I have at the top of the recomended list. Toyota trucks have not really proven themselves in the mid range 1/2 ton truck. They have a capable motor but the transmission / rear end is not quite up to the task of heavy hauling. Having said that, good luck with the '05 lex.
    Thx man.

About how much will I be looking at spending for a lightly used 05, 1500 or 2500 4WD ext cap short bed , with about 30-60k Miles on it? Lifted or stock.

And would it be Possible to have this Grill/Bumper Combo on an 03-06 1500/2500 ??

This bumper on the Left and the Grill on the right.
    Last edited by Lex202; 12-27-2008 at 11:39 AM.

Well it all depends on how many options you want loaded into the truck. I'd say you can pick up an 05 between 15 to 20 grand. Like I said it all depends on what you are buying. If you want a stock, standard cab with vinyl floor mats its going to be less expensive than an extended cad or even the crew cab Throw in 4 wheel drive, CD players and others and the price starts going up.
    As far as a bumper and grill swap that should be possible. I beleive that they all mount to the frame the same way as long as they are stock or mathcinh aftermarket pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by tlperry68 View Post
    Well it all depends on how many options you want loaded into the truck. I'd say you can pick up an 05 between 15 to 20 grand. Like I said it all depends on what you are buying. If you want a stock, standard cab with vinyl floor mats its going to be less expensive than an extended cad or even the crew cab Throw in 4 wheel drive, CD players and others and the price starts going up.
    As far as a bumper and grill swap that should be possible. I beleive that they all mount to the frame the same way as long as they are stock or mathcinh aftermarket pieces.
    yea all im really looking for is a truck with the body style I like thats 4WD extended cab with ac lol all the other stuff really dosnt matter to me because im going to redo it all eventually anyways so its just a waste.

Although I am Having a really hard time finding a black 05 extended 4WD 1500, And knowing that I can swap out the bumper and grill to get the front end I want I would think it would be easy to pick up a stock 60k miles or so truck but I cant seem to find it anywhere. anyone got any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by