GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2001 2500hd. Anyone ever replace motor mounts?

I just replaced the torsion bar cross member bushings on my truck (they were blowed out!), but I still hear a creaking sound whenever I step on the gas, in either drive or revese, from a dead stop. I'm pretty sure the motor and trans mounts need to be replaces as well. Just wondering how much a bitch it is!
    You're driving is WAY more offensive than my swearing, assjack!!!

Not bad to replace your gonna need a floor jack and a piece of wood to jack the engine up.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Retired's right, GOOD floor jack, solid piece of wood to jack the front off the mount supports on the A-frame craddle and some heavy duty tools to break the bolts loose on the motor. Keep aware of your hands and jack/wood block at all times so it does not fall back down while you are working in there.
    The trans mount is a lot simplier to perform than the motor mounts. If are handy and do other work and have the tools you can perform this task....Let us know the outcome.

Jeff
    JMoney02

Thank! I'll let you all know the outcome as soon as I get ahold of the parts.

Master Mechanic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrasher View Post
    Thank! I'll let you all know the outcome as soon as I get ahold of the parts.
    Any other questions, please just ask........LOL

Jeff
    JMoney02

I was told by a reputable auto parts dealer (aftermarket) that if the aftermarket doesn't make a replacement part, it is unlikely that the part in question is prone to failure. Since the aftermarket doesn't make motor mounts for my truck, I'm thinking that's not my problem. Anyone out there ever have or know of anyone to have had a problem similar to what I desribed at the beginning of this thread? Any input would really be appreciated! Thanks!
    P

Have you tried getting on the front bumper and rocking the truck up and down, then side to side. more than likely its a bushing of some sort. you said you replaced the torsion bar bushings (did you spray the new ones up while installing?), when you give it some gas it is flexing the front suspension. so a best guess would be the control arm bushings are squeaking. i know the ford explorers where famous for them in the late 90's and my old dodge squeaks every once in awhile.I also notice it gets worse the colder it gets outside. i spray them up real good with silicon spray and it will go away when i drive it down the road a few miles.usually lasts 4-6 months before i have to do it again. hope this helps

Thanks, that sounds like a possibility too. I'll give it a try.

...and I now know that it isn't the u-joints, as I just replaced them...

This problem has been SOLVED! It turned out the transmission mount was the source of the "creaking" sound. Although I did replace the U-joints, which wasn't the problem, I don't regret it. With over 86k on the clock, at least I know I won't have to worry about the rear u-joints ever again!! Thanks all for your input & suggestions. Peace!!