GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Posi anyone?

Default Posi anyone?

So I took the family to the snow today and hit some ice off the road. I do not like the lack of traction that the rear end puts out. All 4 tires were spinning at times but in low RPM I could not get good hookup at the rear end. I'm going to swap out the diff. Any opinions on a good posi system? And should I do both front and rear diffs?
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Aurburn limit slip diffs are pretty good and won't break the bank. As far as the front leave it an open diff unless your getting into 4 wheeling then I would put an air locker in the front.

Thanks I'll look into that one.

When my G80 blew up, I went all out and put an ARB in my rear diff -- solid lock when I want it, regular open diff when I'm on the road. Personally I prefer a locker to a limited slip. Limited slips work ok as long as both wheels have some traction. In a situation where one wheel has no traction at all (think one wheel in the air or on ice and the other wheel on dry pavement), and the LS doesn't always put enough torque to the wheel with traction to get/keep you moving.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

I recommend a good locker like found on the HD's
    Heineken

2008 Tahoe LTZ White Diamond (Loaded)
    2003 2500HD Ext Cab DuraMAX
    2002 Civic (Momma's)
    1997 Jetta Trek
    1986 BMW 325 (e)

At least the bottom three are paid for :lol:

I agree with the locker in the rear. I'm hesitant to put a locker in the front with the IFS. I've seen/heard/read a lot of horror stories of parts (mostly shafts) breaking when the front is locked on IFS.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    When my G80 blew up, I went all out and put an ARB in my rear diff -- solid lock when I want it, regular open diff when I'm on the road. Personally I prefer a locker to a limited slip. Limited slips work ok as long as both wheels have some traction. In a situation where one wheel has no traction at all (think one wheel in the air or on ice and the other wheel on dry pavement), and the LS doesn't always put enough torque to the wheel with traction to get/keep you moving.
    What kind of ARB did you get. Do you need the air compressor and everything?

you will need some source of high-pressure air (somewhere around 70psi if I'm not mistake). You can get it from ARB's compressor, your own onboard compressor, or even a compressed air/co2 bottle.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    you will need some source of high-pressure air (somewhere around 70psi if I'm not mistake). You can get it from ARB's compressor, your own onboard compressor, or even a compressed air/co2 bottle.
    Not a bad idea. I will have to put an air lift kit on once I lift this thing anyways. Has anyone used the Eaton Posi, not the Elocker / G80?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by