GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Size does matter

maybe im just not looking or searching in the right area but i cant seem to figure it out

i just need to know whats a good exhaust cat-back size for the 5.7? i like to go a little bigger then stock but of coarse i dont want to free it up too much, it will be exiting the stock area so it will be a single out.

thanks for any help

I went with 2.5" on the '96 I had. I had true dual Flowmasters installed and it worked for me. good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Default Size Matters

My freind went with a 2.5 dual in single 2.5 out flowmaster and 3.0 pipe out stock location and hangers. Good sound not too loud but not queit either. Ran better and a local muffler shop installed for 170.00
    Mark - Phoenix
    97 Chevy Silverado X-Cab
    86 Monte Carlo SS
    72 Chevelle Convertible

sorry to cut in with my own questions, but if i can add to this topic it might help both of us. i priced some exhaust shops for custom dual exhaust and this is what i got from them,

- i asked if high flown cats helped, he said not really except for actual performance vehicles

- i asked if an 'H' pipe would help with torque, he said yes but to enough to compensate for the price

- i asked about 1 2-in-2-out muffler or 2 1-in-1-out mufflers, he said that instead of having an 'H' pipe, the 2-in-2-out would act as if there were an 'H' pipe and that if i had 2 1-in-1-out that the sound would pop and crackle (like the cleshe' redneck sound) whereas if there were a 2-in-2-out, it wouldnt.

- he also stated that the highflow cats could and probably would cause the O2 sensors to throw a downstream code or something of the sort

i cant really remember what else was discussed, but i was wondering if any of this has been experienced or experimented with and am asking for some feed back please.
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    sorry to cut in with my own questions, but if i can add to this topic it might help both of us. i priced some exhaust shops for custom dual exhaust and this is what i got from them,

- i asked if high flown cats helped, he said not really except for actual performance vehicles

- i asked if an 'H' pipe would help with torque, he said yes but to enough to compensate for the price

- i asked about 1 2-in-2-out muffler or 2 1-in-1-out mufflers, he said that instead of having an 'H' pipe, the 2-in-2-out would act as if there were an 'H' pipe and that if i had 2 1-in-1-out that the sound would pop and crackle (like the cleshe' redneck sound) whereas if there were a 2-in-2-out, it wouldnt.

- he also stated that the highflow cats could and probably would cause the O2 sensors to throw a downstream code or something of the sort

i cant really remember what else was discussed, but i was wondering if any of this has been experienced or experimented with and am asking for some feed back please.

i have a highflow cat on my tercel and 02 sensors seems to be fine

ill probably go with a 3" pipe, its not going to be duel so i think 3" would be ok for the single

3" is fine for a single, that's what I went with on mine. I also have the high flow cats and an aero turbine muffler and it sounds and performs great.
    Scott

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

'94 Chevy Suburban K1500
    3" exhaust w/ aero turbine non-baffled muffler
    CFM Technologies TB spacer
    CB w/ 44" whip antenna

i was going to get a price on 1 into 2 and have the tips come out at the corners of the rear bumpers but i dont think i want to go that rout anymore. we shall see

i got a price for mine the other day. for 2 magnaflow high flow catalytic converters ($80 a piece) the muffler, 2 1/2'' tubing from the headers, total cost of around $400.
    the muffler is a flow master 2in 2out, and like sheep said, my tips are coming out at an angle towards the rear corners. i cant wait
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cascott325 View Post
    i got a price for mine the other day. for 2 magnaflow high flow catalytic converters ($80 a piece) the muffler, 2 1/2'' tubing from the headers, total cost of around $400.
    the muffler is a flow master 2in 2out, and like sheep said, my tips are coming out at an angle towards the rear corners. i cant wait

im sure they will look and sound awesome. everyone does it straight out the back and imo its really ugly. i also considered coming out right before the rear tires but i think thats a little too redneck for me

You can't go wrong with 2.5" flowmasters.
    Trevor - Huntington Beach, CA
    2007 GMC 2500 4X4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast