GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default speedometer ain't working.

    So I no longer know how fast I'm driving. Sometimes the speedometer moves as far as 30mph, but for the most part, it don't move at all. Any ideas? Any help would be great. Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    we could really use some information about your vehicle... Year, make, model, ownership information (original, second, third, etc), and some technical details (all you know about the issue) to be able to help you.

    Welcome to the board
    Christopher

    1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half



    There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    we could really use some information about your vehicle... Year, make, model, ownership information (original, second, third, etc), and some technical details (all you know about the issue) to be able to help you.

    Welcome to the board
    Oh ya. Sorry about that.
    2005 Silverado crew cab 2wd with tow/haul. I believe I'm the second owner, but not too sure. The speedo stopped working early summer. Sometimes it moves as far as 30mph slower than I'm driving, sometimes it don't move at all. I have a few other minor issues, but I'll take care of one at a time.
    Thanks for the welcome

  4. #4

    Default

    i saw on other posts that there was a recall or letter sent out of some sort from chevy to chevy owners(you wouldnt have got this since you didn't buy it from the dealership) saying that theres issues with some tachometers and MPH gauges.. I had my tach and speedometer stop working over a blown radio fuse (2000 silverado 1500).. try checking that out before going to the dealership. get ahold of that steve dude who seems to run the site. I'm sure he knows. good luck

  5. #5

    Default

    Most likely it's the speedo itself, if it were the speed sensor the trany would not shift.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Most likely it's the speedo itself, if it were the speed sensor the trany would not shift.
    I say check all of the fuses cause chevy seems to like to f**k with people's heads by making fuses connect/interfere with things that you wouldn't associate with that particular fuse location.. i.e. i blew my radio fuse the other day and just that one fuse caused my tach and speedometer to stop working. for cost efficient trouble shooting, go out and buy a light tester and check all of your fuses before having a dealership charge you up the wazoo.. unless you got money like that to toss in the wind

  7. #7
    Master Mechanic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brandon, FLA
    Posts
    747
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oOcornflakeOo View Post
    i saw on other posts that there was a recall or letter sent out of some sort from chevy to chevy owners(you wouldnt have got this since you didn't buy it from the dealership) saying that theres issues with some tachometers and MPH gauges.. I had my tach and speedometer stop working over a blown radio fuse (2000 silverado 1500).. try checking that out before going to the dealership. get ahold of that steve dude who seems to run the site. I'm sure he knows. good luck
    Does the other part of your Cluster work? Oil/Amps/Temp and so on? If so, you now have a bad cluster
    all together, not like the complete blown cluster from grounding a part of the harness, which would be a blown fuse. From late 2002 to Mid 2005 Chevrolet had issues with their clusters, unfortunately only the 2003-2004 were recalled and replaced, but it has a limit of 7yrs/70k miles and yours does not fit the requirement. If you replace it with a salvage one you will need to have it calibrated and certified by the Dealer to insure the sale for mileage is accurate, you can also state if you sell that the mileage is unknown if the vehicle is older than 10yrs......

    Jeff
    JMoney02

  8. #8
    Jr. Apprentice
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    buford ga
    Posts
    20

    Default

    im going wit the the speed sensor. i wreck my truck and the trany wouldnt shift and speedo at zero and was speed sensor

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-12-2009, 06:23 PM
  3. Speedometer not working
    By dustin88 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
  4. Speedometer
    By EagleTalons in forum Chevy C/K Truck Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 02:07 PM
  5. Help Please! - Speedometer Not Working
    By killem in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2006, 10:01 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •